Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-13-2013, 08:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Paddlewheel Speedo question

For those of you with paddlewheel speedometers and perfect pass, I changed the paddlewheel in my boat this weekend, and tried spinning the wheel with the boat turned in the "on" position (where perfectpass boots up) but without the engine running. Should I be able to get a readout of my speed by spinning that paddlwheel without the motor running? I spun it and got a 0 reading. I'm wondering if I have more digging to do to figure out why my speedometers aren't working (both analog and PP speedo), or if I just have to test it with the motor actually running. I didn't have a way to hook a water source to the boat which is why I wasn't able to test with it running.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
mine would read when I spun it. Kept getting weird glitches and switched to stargazer.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
mine would read when I spun it. Kept getting weird glitches and switched to stargazer.
Was your boat running when you'd spin it? Or did you just have the key position to on?

I'd like to upgrade to stargazer, but it's not in the budget at the moment. At least RPM mode still works, so I'm able to at least use the perfect pass, but I'd really prefer knowing my speed just glancing at the guages rather than using my phones GPS.

Here's to hoping it magically works when I put it in the water next time.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Could you have a loose wire somewhere? Did you check all wires going to computer under dash? I am not sure about a PP speedo paddle wheel, but years ago when I had my sea doo, I could put the key in and spin the paddle wheel and get a reading, without the engine running. I am not sure how different the two types of systems are though. Which version PP do you have? Also, try calling PP, bc they are very knowledgeable.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Could you have a loose wire somewhere? Did you check all wires going to computer under dash? I am not sure about a PP speedo paddle wheel, but years ago when I had my sea doo, I could put the key in and spin the paddle wheel and get a reading, without the engine running. I am not sure how different the two types of systems are though. Which version PP do you have? Also, try calling PP, bc they are very knowledgeable.
Its the wakeboard pro... mechanical servo style. I'll have to check under the dash a little harder. I looked under there, but didn't see anything that stood out. All of my other guages work, it's just the speedo and perfect pass speed. Even the lights on everything works.