Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x2 mcx
Teak oil question

Ive read through all the faq's and have a good idea on the sanding process, but m not clear on what oil is needed, and if it in fact should be sealed or "let breathe"
When I bought boat, guy gave me a can of Tung oil. Will this work ok? I've used it on furniture, but not sure how well it will do in water and sun. If It is ok to use the Tung oil, should it be sealed on top of that?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNstevo View Post
Ive read through all the faq's and have a good idea on the sanding process, but m not clear on what oil is needed, and if it in fact should be sealed or "let breathe"
When I bought boat, guy gave me a can of Tung oil. Will this work ok? I've used it on furniture, but not sure how well it will do in water and sun. If It is ok to use the Tung oil, should it be sealed on top of that?
Thanks in advance!
Mineral Spirits (25%) and linseed oil (75%) mixture... You'll never look back at teak oil....

The other sealant product (one of several of which I refer) will be a b!tch to remove. I'd never put a sealer on teak, but that's just me..... There's several threads here about above said mixture.... read ahead... several important steps for best results....

$.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x-45 8.1L
I have yet to try the linseed/ spirits mix but if you take your time sanding and ending with an 80 or 100 grit teak oil gives it a great look. Some say the linseed/spirits will last longer but I personally don't know. I used teak oil and loved how it turned out. I myself wouldn't put finish on it. I've heard people say it can get slick which could cause injuries.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you don't want to deal with blending, Amazon Golden Teak oil does not have a sealer. I bought a bottle 7 years ago and am still using it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Boiled linseed oil? The advantage to BLSO would be that it is really cheap where most teak oils are pricey. I used BLSO on the underside of the swim step once but was afraid to put in on the top since I didn't know how it would react to the sun.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 197TT #58
I have been using a product call All Guard teak care, since 1988. The platform on my 1988 prostar still looks great even now. I sold it in 2010. My 2010 197TT looks good, but I have started cleaning and sanding it for this season. I removed the covers on the bottom to open up the hand holes. Here is the web site for the teak product I use.
http://www.allguardproducts.com/

Roger
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '98 Prostar
I've always used Automatic Trans Fluid. The Red tone looks nice and it is cheap.