Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Planned to tackle the sub box this weekend while i have the drivers kick panel out working on the final parts of the ballast install (too many spring projects!). Planned to build the box internal dimensions to .66 cuft per specs and placing behind the panel, puttin the panel in place trace the kickpanel cutout onto the face of the box and pulling apart to cut and reinstall. Anyone have recommendations for a better way or done successfully this way before?
You will notice a big improvement with the sub box addition. I didn't think to install everything to trace the kick panel cutout. I just cut everything to center the box, installed everything, and then cut support pieces to install under the box to support it.

One thing I did to help, was I predrilled the front of the sub box and kick panel so once I installed everything in for final install, it was easy and quick to get the two screwed together.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
I built a sub box for my 205 last week in a similar way to how you describe. I wish I would have taken pics for you. I ended up using the kick panel itself as the front of the box. I built it so the box itself sits about 2 inches off the floor to help keep moisture off it and I have a support to help hold it up. The box itself is 3/4 inch MDF that I had sprayed with box liner inside and out. i built it slightly smaller than Kickers specs but i did use some polyfill. I ended up cutting a few inches off the top of the kick panel so the whole thing could slide into place without taking it apart. It worked out great, you can't see the material I cut off and it left me with more space under the dash for all the wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Planned to tackle the sub box this weekend while i have the drivers kick panel out working on the final parts of the ballast install (too many spring projects!). Planned to build the box internal dimensions to .66 cuft per specs and placing behind the panel, puttin the panel in place trace the kickpanel cutout onto the face of the box and pulling apart to cut and reinstall. Anyone have recommendations for a better way or done successfully this way before?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Box is done. 14" x 14 1/2" x 8.5" outside dimensions. Used 3/4" plywood and glued/screwed with SS screws. Added 4 each 1/2" pvc fittings for legs. Going to try to fit it into place now so hopefully i"ll be able to position behind the kick panel and put everything back together. Wish me luck that the only other cut i will need to make is for the speaker cutout!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Angry

Gd...m kick panel is going to be the life of me . Screwed with it for an hour and had to walk away. Cut it down some and will try to fit it tomorrow.... More patience then...

Last edited by Rossterman; 05-12-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Took Retoxtony's suggestion and trimmed the top of the carpeted kick panel to where it was just above the medallion guage computer mounts. Was night and day easier to get the panel in and out with more room for the wiring looms to sit.

Put the sub in place to measure how high i needed to make the legs and mark out the hole. I pulled out, cut the hole, added the speaker connector, wired everything up and put the box in place and mounted the panel to the face. Installed the sub and was done. Must say, the sound is day and night better than with the free air sub! Here are some of the pics. Box is .66cuft internal and dimension on the OD are 14" wide, 14.5" tall, and 8.5" deep. I used 3/4 " ply instead of MFD as it seemed much stronger. Sprayed the inside and out with polyurathane clear and screwed/glued w/ SS screws and waterproof wood glue.
Attached Images