Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-11-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Question Should there be o-rings at the ends of the "steering tube"?

Today, I replaced my steering cable. It turns so nice and easy now! However, one maintenance question...

Please forgive me as I have no idea what this proper name of this tube is. There are couplings on either end, but no real seal or o-rings under those brass couplings. After pumping the tube full of grease via the zerk and running the wheel back and forth, grease is driven out of either side via the couplings.

To anyone who has replaced their steering cable, did you happen to notice o-rings or seals at either end of this tube? I don't know if this is something the PO lost along the way, or if it's meant to be unsealed. I'm sure I could pick up a couple of o-rings at the hardware store.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
good question...
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
I just replaced mine as well. There's no o-rings in the tube. The tube is not meant to be sealed. From my understanding there shouldn't be any pressure build up in that tube because it can cause stiffer steering, even hydraulic lock. The grease zerks that come with the boat actually don't have a check valve. This prevents pressure build up. The problem is most people loose the original grease fitting and replace it with one that has a check ball. (I had to) So what i do is, I grease the tube, then take the grease fitting back off and turn the wheel back and forth. Repeat once or twice, then put the fitting back on. Don't forget to grease the rudder assembly too. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X9 2003
Mine doesn't have the nut at the transom end of tube. I asked my Mastercraft parts guy and he asked a mechanic there who said I shouldn't have one. The pipe is threaded. I thought it should to keep out debris.