Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocougs View Post
My cousin just retired at 55 from being a park ranger/manager, took a course and became a long distance trucker for a year, then decided to get in the airline industry and is now a flight attendant. Seems to be a need for older males for that line of work. That maybe something to look into for travel and schedule that would fit. I've been a high school history teacher for 24 years now and will be looiking soon enough for a job that I don't have to plan for every day and entertain 150 teenagers for 5 one hour shows!
5 - one hour shows.....that's an awesome way of looking at it!

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

My wife is a kindergarten teacher. I think she puts on about 40, ten minutes shows a day. She stays until after 6:00 and then comes home and plans the next set of 40, ten minutes segments a week out so she always has forward lesson plans. Early in the year she has several students that are non-English speaking. That makes it more difficult to hold their attention. She loves the kids and wouldn't want to do anything else. But, she does get tired of the ever increasing regulations and testing requirements that continually flow down from federal and state. Teaching time is replaced by testing time.

Last edited by 87 TriStar 190; 05-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
If Eric Estrada can do it..... you can too!!!!!

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 TriStar 190 View Post
*snip* But, she does get tired of the ever increasing regulations and testing requirements that continually flow down from federal and state.

as I type this, construction workers are putting in a security fence around the ENTIRE Technology Center Campus that I'm substitute teaching at

https://www.ktc.edu/

campus programs

Automotive Service Technology

Bio-Medical Sciences

Business Administration & Information Technology

Culinary Arts

Electrical Technology

Emergency Medical Services

Health Science

HVAC Technology

Practical Nursing

Service Careers Technology

Welding Technology

Rod, I've watched you over the years... yes, you've tried different things and I applaud you for that. Hopefully, you'll find something you like and stick with it.
But, I really think you get bored too easily and will move onto something else in 2 -3 years.
Good Luck man! with whatever you find

Some of us only wish to have the freedom to move into different vocations

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocougs View Post
My cousin just retired at 55 ...then decided to get in the airline industry and is now a flight attendant. Seems to be a need for older males for that line of work. That maybe something to look into for travel and schedule that would fit.
Just an FYI, and no disrespect intended, but be aware that male flight attendant is a homosexual dominated profession. Just so anyone knows what the working environment will be like.

YMMV.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Kind of old to really hit it as an airline pilot, as seniority is everything, and that is hand in hand with age.

However, there will be tremendous opportunity for pilot jobs in the coming decade. Huge retirement numbers and maybe even some growth.

Time off, there is ample opportunity for more than average time off in the flying career. Not hard to have 15 days off per month.

YMMV.
Problem is working your way up .... Have to start at the bottom for hardly anything and work your way up ... It's purely seniority based. Since I fly a ton, and am on a flight right now, I would really love having the guy in the left seat to be there because of his expertise, not just seniority (yes I understand fully all the work/certification it takes to become a captain) ... Just one mans opinion
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
Problem is working your way up .... Have to start at the bottom for hardly anything and work your way up ... It's purely seniority based. Since I fly a ton, and am on a flight right now, I would really love having the guy in the left seat to be there because of his expertise, not just seniority (yes I understand fully all the work/certification it takes to become a captain) ... Just one mans opinion
Seniority in pilots means more hours flying. Which means the most experienced. However, right seat does most of the actual flying.

In a emergent situation. I would want the guy on the left in control. 0.02.

Back on topic. There are many openings. Especially in private transport. It doesn't have to be a jet. You could fly a king air or even a CESSNA 210. The pilot of our local airports air taxi stated he makes more flying the king air than he did as a 747 pilot for AirTran.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
I will agree with you milky , I tend to like change. However I've never left the granite countertop business while checking out other options. It's just not my passion and I guess I'm still looking for it. Becoming a professional pilot is not an option. Don't feel that it's the right fit. But I do want to find something in avation or airports.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Just remember your passion can be a hobby and work is something to enable your life. There are weeks and months I hate sales... but then again... I like it when it pays... but it gives me the freedom I need to do my hobbies... Unless what you're doing is sucking the life out of you - Also nothing wrong with reinventing yourself...

The question you need to ask yourself is what is the lowest common denominator that makes you happy.

Everything as a trade-off...everything... Timing helps too. 3 books to read by Malcom Gladwell - Blink and Outliers and Tipping Point... those books help put things in perspective for me... they are NOT self help books - just observations.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
I will agree with you milky , I tend to like change. However I've never left the granite countertop business while checking out other options. It's just not my passion and I guess I'm still looking for it. Becoming a professional pilot is not an option. Don't feel that it's the right fit. But I do want to find something in avation or airports.
My career and job will never be my passion. Unless I break into the ********* industry. Find something that is rewarding, pays enough to pay the bills, and go with it.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.