Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Not sure if you noticed but the ones you linked to are not the SS set. Not that you need SS but wanted to make sure you knew there were two types sold.
Yeah... the orientation of the hook is important.. thanks - I saw the SS but did not want to dish out the $$ - I spray those down with oil and they are staying nice..
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotvl View Post
So, I was taking my '86 to the lake yesterday and was pulled over by a state trooper who informed me very seriously that "you are living on a hope and a prayer". He ordered me out of my truck and showed me that I "did not have 3 points of contact" on my boat holding it to the trailer. I almost laughed at him but didn't think that would go over very well. The boat came from the factory in '86 with only the front tow hooked up the bar on the front of the bow. I explained this to him and that I have been towing this boat like this from the factory for 26 yrs. and if it was going to move or fall off it would have by now, but he didn't buy it. He gave me a warning. Any similar stories or insight on this? P.S. I looked up the state statute on this and in WI it does say that a boat must be secured on a trailer at the bow and stern to prevent shifting but I don't believe there is a way on an '86 to do this without putting a strap all the way around on the back which would rub on the boat, ......... NO GOOD!
To the lake...where are the Ski pics

Usually technicalities like that warrant getting pulled over leaving the lake so they can see if you tipped a few brewskis

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
To the lake...where are the Ski pics

Usually technicalities like that warrant getting pulled over leaving the lake so they can see if you tipped a few brewskis

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
You never know. That officer may have just recently responded to an accident where a boat left the trailer because it wasn't strapped down. His mind may just be directed at boat straps right now.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
Didn't read every post but the Trooper may have been commercial vehicle/weights and measures and they look hard at trailers. Here in north Texas they hit private trailers hard for lights, safety chains, breakaway system, proper tie downs and over weight for both trailer and tow vehicle. I was stopped a couple years ago and was weighed with portable scales. Truck, trailer and tractor was 18k plus, 200 under rating. Good think I had 1/4 tank in tractor.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197
Have a not so fun John Law story from this past Saturday. Bought a five year old 4000 lb Shorestation from a guy about 3 hours from the lake house. Borrowed a car trailer that is eight feet wide and 10 feet long. Took five men to get it off the beach and onto the trailer. After breaking the shaft on one of the tires that moves the hoist, we just man powered it up onto the trailer. Then strapped it down with 12 straps. Took a good 2 hours to get it ready to go. Now on the road and only 15 miles towards its new home a commerical state trooper passes and shortly after I am pulled over. Out steps captain bad a** reciting all of the towing rules for the state of Michigan. Doesn't even ask for my license, just tells me to get out of the truck. Trooper pulls out a tape measure and has me hold one end to show that I am 13 inches too wide (6.5 inches on both sides). Then asks for my license and comes back to the truck with my fine. Told me that I have to get a permit and can only haul oversized items Monday through Friday. I asked him what people do when they have a job and can't take a day just to move a hoist. Goes on to tell me that it is not his problem and that he is being nice to me because he could call for it to be towed to an impound! Tells me I have to take it back to where I got it and make another trip. I asked since he already ticketed me if I could just finish my trip when he responds with, "you want to go to jail today?" Bascially wasted my Saturday. The few people I talked to told me not to worry about it by telling me...."this is northern Michigan and everyone moves hoists and boats". Well, now I know!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Torchtime: http://youtu.be/deuC8GPr31A

the police have gone from helping people to being nothing but enforcers and money-generators for an increasingly fascist state. Your story above is a perfect example of this.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
Torchtime: http://youtu.be/deuC8GPr31A

the police have gone from helping people to being nothing but enforcers and money-generators for an increasingly fascist state. Your story above is a perfect example of this.
Welcome speed camera's, red light camera's, discount cards to buy groceries linked to your phone number so big brother/michelle obama knows how many soda's, condoms, beer and beanie wienies you buy.
Amazing and sad how quick we are losing our privacy, freedoms, and due process!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
Look at the specifications. The stainless set has less capacity than the regular, and costs more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Not sure if you noticed but the ones you linked to are not the SS set. Not that you need SS but wanted to make sure you knew there were two types sold.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
You never know. That officer may have just recently responded to an accident where a boat left the trailer because it wasn't strapped down. His mind may just be directed at boat straps right now.
As a firefighter I see my fare share of accidents and notice when there are things that make an accident worse... ie boats or object not strapped down to the trailer. Give the guy or gal a break he his there to make the roads safe for those of us at the mercy of other drivers.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Heck, I just wish they would strap down those dang ladders in the back of trucks, etc. Had to swerve to miss a commercial wheelbarrow (with at least 100 lbs. of dried concrete on it) that fell out of the truck ahead. Rookies.