Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Lars's Avatar
Lars Lars is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: PS197
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 320
leveling compound on cracked garage floor?

Bought my house about a year ago and the condition of the garage floor is driving me NUTS! I'd love to put down an epoxy over it, but it is very pitted and spalled. None of the cracks look structural, I think it's just 60 years of water freezing and thawing on top.

See pictures below.

Can I just clean it and put some leveling compound on this front half and then epoxy it? Back half was added much later btw.

Name:  IMG_0558.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0559.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  52.0 KB
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,647
Wish I could help. You need someone who really knows about this. I'm thinking jack hammer it all up and start over including a little digout of the soil below and filling with good gravel and compacting properly.
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Bought my house about a year ago and the condition of the garage floor is driving me NUTS! I'd love to put down an epoxy over it, but it is very pitted and spalled. None of the cracks look structural, I think it's just 60 years of water freezing and thawing on top.

See pictures below.

Can I just clean it and put some leveling compound on this front half and then epoxy it? Back half was added much later btw.
For what I would expect out of your request (a good long term fix), the answer is no.

That looks to be old concrete (relatively speaking) with freeze/thaw cycles, salt/brine from your location...

John has the best answer for best results. Anything else will be like a coat of Thompson's water seal <<SPIT>> on a wooden deck... It won't last long...

A small project like that is really not difficult as a DIY if you plan properly. The key to any and all concrete placement is reinforcement and control joints. I am not talking about wire mesh either.... That is even more useless than Thompson's water seal....
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post

A small project like that is really not difficult as a DIY if you plan properly. The key to any and all concrete placement is reinforcement and control joints.
If concrete moves (and it almost always will) it will crack. My understanding is that you either need to keep it from moving or control where it cracks. The first part is almost impossible, so control and expansion joints need to be installed. On the floors I just poured, the installer placed 1/2" foam around the perimeter for expansion and cut control joints in with a diamond blade saw. My last house was done the same way, and it's amazing that the floor cracked within almost every saw cut. You could see it if you looked into the saw cut. (I never did get around to filling the saw cuts with silicone - hopefully I do on this one.)
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
The key to any and all concrete placement is reinforcement and control joints..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
........, so control and expansion joints need to be installed.
....control joints and expansion joints are two different applications.... both necessary for different uses....

SOunds like you had yours done correctly....

Control is the issue most lazy concrete finishers choose to ignore or skrimp on. Concrete will crack...

I could go on and on.... (civil engine-ear)

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,647
I do realize you have much more experience than I do in this. I was just trying to clear things up for OP. Expansion joints as name indicates allows for the entire floor to expand by creating a space for it to do so. Foam or some medium is placed around the perimeter where the floor abuts the walls. Otherwise it will crack upon expansion. Control joints (in the middle of the floor) create a weak spot such that when the floor does crack it does so in the controlled location.
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I do realize you have much more experience than I do in this. I was just trying to clear things up for OP. Expansion joints as name indicates allows for the entire floor to expand by creating a space for it to do so. Foam or some medium is placed around the perimeter where the floor abuts the walls. Otherwise it will crack upon expansion. Control joints (in the middle of the floor) create a weak spot such that when the floor does crack it does so in the controlled location.
That was not the point. I was agreeing with you.. You're on it....

I could say the same about electrical and your experience.. I know on and off with a light switch.... That's it... You're the electrical guy....

,
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM
BrooksfamX2's Avatar
BrooksfamX2 BrooksfamX2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Location: Mid Left Coast
Posts: 1,664
cover it with some garage matting or outdoor carpet?
__________________
MISS "B" HAVEN
2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX
OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Eagle River, AK!
Posts: 3,823
Yeah drop in some of those rubber garage tiles.
Or pull it out and re pour.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Traxx822's Avatar
Traxx822 Traxx822 is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Location: Chicago SW sub
Posts: 2,484
Break it with a sledge. Put in new wire mesh, rebuild up the settled stone, compact it. Run expansion joint around perimeter only. Fill it up with Crete. Joint the floor into 4 pieces. California finish it so it looks pretty. That is all you can do to that floor. Any bandaids will not solve this issue. Good luck

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
__________________
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 PM.