Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Guys, I need a little help. I need to buff the back of my boat which has faded. Since I've never done this I thought I would practice on the PWC first. If it gets screwed up, it doesn't matter near as much.

So, I went to do a small area on the pwc last night and the compound almost immediatly turns black. So I'm left with a black buffing pad and this black residue on the pwc that can only be removed by using more compound on a clean rag and buffing by hand.

I'm using 3M compound and a foam cutting pad.

HELP!
Sounds like you have some sort of other residue probably oil/gas on the hull. Is it a 2 stroke? Hard to say for sure but I would wash it with simple green then soap and water then hit it with the compound. If it still does it then keep compounding. You have to get all of the contaminates off so you can polish.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Thanks Brian, it's a 4 stroke, but something is definately going on. All give it a couple of baths and then try it again.

I appreciate the response, I was at a loss. It looks like rain here most of the weekend, so I'm hoping to do some buffing.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x2 mcx
How many times is too many with cutting compound and wool pad?

Reading through all these posts, and trying to figureoutif I need to keep buffing with cutting compundor go back to wet sanding. Using a 1200 to. 1500 rpm rotary, and wool pads along with McGuire heavy cutting compund, the highest cut they make, I think it was the105. There was HEAVY oxidation on my green x2 transom. I've done at least 5 to 10 passes with the buffer. It cut almost all the oxidation and is pretty shiny, but had some white haze still. Went to the next step McGuire polish ( think it was the 205), amd at first it appeared to polish real well. However, if you inspect closely, there's still a white sheen. Think I polished two passes. I'm pretty sure I don't need to go on to wax. I'm concerned if I go back to cutting I'll do damage. How man passes is too many? I feel like I'm relatively safe since I never did any wetsanding? I'm assuming it's just taking so many passes, b/c I likely should have wetsanding to start with? What would y'all do next?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Gel is pretty darn thick. I would have no hesitation going back and wet sanding then using the compound.

That being said if you see a spec of black while sanding or compounding STOP as this is the base color layer under your gel coat and you have gone through the color.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Wakesetter
I'm going to further derail this thread, my apologies in advance.

I have a 6" rotary that I've had for years, similar to this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...r%20Toolsmv=rr

I bought some foam pads this year, figuring to try something new. I thought they would slide over like the wool bonnets, but I was mistaken. Does anyone know where I can source the backing plate to connect the foam pad?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Check out an auto refinishing supplier. (auto paint store) in your area, Auto geek, properboatcare dot com, check them out. Being Craftsman, they used to do strange things with their stuff to keep you coming back to them for parts and accessories, I had one of those back in the 90's and gave it away cause it did not have enough speed, and it had an odd thread on the spindle I had to make an adapter for it.
HTH.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I picked up a new buffer the other day from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-varia...9474-8790.html

I also bought a wool pad and some Meguiars 49 oxidation Remover for some hazy area on my boat.

THIS WORKED GREAT!!! Follow with Meguiars Cleaner Wax applied with an orbital waxer really cleaned it up.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Check out Leverage products, they have a compound for removing fading / scum and then a polish that you just wipe on. Super easy to use the polish. I would suggest the wool pad also you can pick them up at any auto parts store.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Guys, I need a little help. I need to buff the back of my boat which has faded. Since I've never done this I thought I would practice on the PWC first. If it gets screwed up, it doesn't matter near as much.

So, I went to do a small area on the pwc last night and the compound almost immediatly turns black. So I'm left with a black buffing pad and this black residue on the pwc that can only be removed by using more compound on a clean rag and buffing by hand.

I'm using 3M compound and a foam cutting pad.

HELP!
Like it was previously mentioned, it probably has some residue on it. If the gel has a heavy coat of wax on it, you may be pulling some of that out along with some dirt. If cleaning it does not do the trick, you can try lightly wet sanding with 2000 grit on a sanding block. Follow up with the wool pad and rubbing compound. My guess is that when you sand just a little that you will sand off a layer of dirt buildup. It should be a pretty easy job as long as you don't have heavy oxidation. I have a buddy with a Malibu that sits on a lift and the transom is faded from the sun. I took some 2000 to get the oxidation out and buffed and that did the trick. Now he wants to do the entire boat.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I also bought some of this last year, our lake is nasty you always come out with a scum line and no matter how much wax or polish it will not come off. This stuff is fast and easy

http://www.starbrite.com/item/boat-b...ategory_id=566