Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-13-2013, 02:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-9
Indmar LTR 330 headers cleaning?

I have a 2001 X9 with an Indmar LTR 330HP motor. On the port side of the motor I have noticed some increased rust on the underside of the headers, running down the block. I've also noticed that the carpet on that side of the motor has begun melting. I'm assuming the header on that side is running very hot (though the only place I really run my boat is in Lake Havasu, so it's always 110 degrees outside and the airflow under the clam shell is poor). I have an Orca closed cooling system. My question is, the headers are cooled by lake water, do they need to be removed and cleaned out occasionally? Along with changing the gasket and possibly resolving the rust issue? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Regular

Going to highjack my own thread a little bit. I've also been having issues with vapor lock? Cold starting is no problem, I'll run the boat for a while, it will get up to operating temp. When I go to start it 10-60min later, the motor turns over, but will not start. The only way I can seem to get it to start when warm is at WOT. Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
IMO - sounds like your get close to overheat after heat soak. I would pull the risers and check the water passages. When I ran a warmer t-stat I had start trouble after turning off to gather up a boarder or skiier.. but then the issue went away when I went back to a cooler t-stat that originally in boat.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
It looks to me like you are going to need a new manifold (or two). Slight rust is common at that location, but you have a water leak or you wouldn't see the white scale and the streaks running down the block.

I would guess that the boat has seen some salt water use (hence the closed cooling) and the cast iron manifolds weren't suited for it. The water is seeping onto the hottest part of the engine and turning to steam which is heating up everything around it and under the motor box.

Last edited by Table Rocker; 04-30-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
TT Regular

Awesome. Where would I find some new exhaust manifolds online? I've had the boat for 4 years. Took it in salt water twice. Thoroughly flushed it with salt away and everything. Noy sure what the previous owner did.
I drained the oil after leaving it all winter (I live in SoCal and the boat is in my garage) and may have seen some slight mocha colored oil as I drained it. I'm worried the extra heat may have cracked the head and I now have water leaking into the oil. Or maybe it's from sitting all winter and collecting some water? I'm praying.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Since your heads are cooled by the closed system, they should be okay. The exhaust ports are always going to be hot and burn off the paint. If your manifolds are totally shot, you might have water from the cooling jacket leaking internally into the exhaust port. You can get water to the exhaust valves and into the cylinder.

Replacement manifolds are available online through most marine vendors. They aren't going to say Indmar on the side anymore, but at least they are available.

The good news is: Once you turn off the sauna, I think your vapor lock problems will be fixed.

The bad news is: Those manifold bolts don't look like they will want to come out very easily.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
start spraying them bolts with liquid wrench or pb blaster, kroil or home brew p.o....

I would spray daily for awhile and hopefully the bolts heads won't snap off when the are turned.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 PM
TT Regular

Day two of bolt removal. The exhaust manifold I pictured, isn't the one giving me issues. I'm having to drill out two bolts. It's a nightmare. Anyway, when I put on the new manifolds I was instructed to use a gasket, which I got one at Napa. I know the factory used a high temp bead of silicone. What do you guys recommend?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 PM
TT Regular

Here's what the middle exhaust holes look like. They have some wear that looks like it could affect a good seal.
Attached Images