Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Thanks for the tip. The knock sensor seemed like it would be breakable. I'll tighten as much as seems prudent then check for leaks.

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2006, 350
How do you guys run the engine after these steps to ensure everything is correct? Out of water to be specific?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
See the link below!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44490

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I assume the large hose clamp is for your water intake hose that attaches to the hull intake on the starboard side. Mine has 2 clamps, I think yours should also. You wouldn't want that hose to pop off, your boat would sink fast.

I'm surprised they didn't remove your batteries for winter. I always put mine in the house where it's warm, hit them with the trickle charger once in a while.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Did you buy this boat from the dealer, or privately? If it was from the dealer, get the invoice for all of the work they did because, being in the Midwest, it's possible that they didn't do everything needed for winterization and they should be held responsible in the event that you find problems.

Look at the lowest hose on your water circulation pump (it's like the one on a car)- if the hose isn't attached at the pump outlet, I would guess that the hose clamp is for that.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Great comments. Finished most of the work this evening and everyone was right on. The hose clamp was, indeed, for the lowest hose on the water circulation pump; I was able to easily reconnect it and tighten it without a problem.

The plug on the starboard side went back in without a problem.

However, the knock sensor did NOT thread in easily. I tried starting it by hand a number of times, only to get about 3/4 of a turn before it stopped and refused to turn any more. I was careful not to cross-thread it and never put a wrench to it. Upon closer inspection, the threads at the end of the knock sensor are mangled, from an earlier cross-threading or drop on the shop floor. I don't think my dealer did this, as there is also a lot of rust.

I decided to replace the part, rather than risk making things worse. I know it is not a cheap part (~$80 on the sites I looked at), but I would rather get a replacement than mess around with this one.

Also, my dealer didn't replace the impeller last Fall when I bought the boat, so that will be done tomorrow or the next day.

The tips and advice on this list were spot on. Thanks - - - it is great to draw upon everyone's experience and share the love of MasterCraft.

I'm really looking forward to getting this boat out on the water in a few weeks. We have had it out a few times just to try the boat out, but we've yet to tow anyone, due to the fact that the boat was bought in October last year when highs were in the 50's. Needless to say, we can hardly wait to get to know this boat this Summer.

More to come.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmd View Post
Great comments. Finished most of the work this evening and everyone was right on. The hose clamp was, indeed, for the lowest hose on the water circulation pump; I was able to easily reconnect it and tighten it without a problem.

The plug on the starboard side went back in without a problem.

However, the knock sensor did NOT thread in easily. I tried starting it by hand a number of times, only to get about 3/4 of a turn before it stopped and refused to turn any more. I was careful not to cross-thread it and never put a wrench to it. Upon closer inspection, the threads at the end of the knock sensor are mangled, from an earlier cross-threading or drop on the shop floor. I don't think my dealer did this, as there is also a lot of rust.

I decided to replace the part, rather than risk making things worse. I know it is not a cheap part (~$80 on the sites I looked at), but I would rather get a replacement than mess around with this one.

Also, my dealer didn't replace the impeller last Fall when I bought the boat, so that will be done tomorrow or the next day.

The tips and advice on this list were spot on. Thanks - - - it is great to draw upon everyone's experience and share the love of MasterCraft.

I'm really looking forward to getting this boat out on the water in a few weeks. We have had it out a few times just to try the boat out, but we've yet to tow anyone, due to the fact that the boat was bought in October last year when highs were in the 50's. Needless to say, we can hardly wait to get to know this boat this Summer.

More to come.
For future reference- the knock sensor should have red or blue anti-sieze compound on it and once it goes in finger-tight, you only need to go 1 turn farther. The sensor's thread is tapered.