Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Career change at 39 ??

Some of you older members may know a bit of my history. What I have been doing for the last 13 years is sales and installation of natural stone countertops. I kinda fell into this career path a$$ backwards and although I have somewhat enjoyed it , it's definately not my passion. Over the last decade I have dabbled in other ventures , boat sales and I even bought a restaurant. Neither of which has panned out real well and left much money on the table. I really enjoyed owning the restaurant ,but the margins were so small and it left hardly anytime for waterskiing !

The countertop business has kept food on the table and I made good money when the economy was strong. I am however ready for something new. 3 years ago I actually decided to attend the police academy. I did for two reasons, just to see if I could do it and for a possible career change. Unfortunalty law enforcement jobs are few and far between. I did make it out of 50 applicants to the last two for a local department. My certificate is now expired and cop jobs are still slim.

So now I am still hoping to find my calling! I am mentally done with granite countertops and I need something else !

I am thinking something in aviation. I am a private pilot although I haven't flown in a while. I don't see myself as an airline pilot. So I was thinking air traffic control. But I am too old. Cut off is 35. Other option is flight dispatcher. Career path looks promising. Am I crazy to pursue a new career at may age? Anyone on here have any insight on this career?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I changed 3x times since college computer programming, product development, marketing and now sales... now being older... 53 years young my passion lies in spending time with family and friends - family and friends on the water is tops, then road bicycling and a few other things... it's quality of life is what I look for.

One thing I have learned from my advanced age - everything has a trade off.... it's about choice.. as long as I can make most of the choices I'm good...

What are you very good at? I am pretty good at a lot of things...but not extremely good in any one thing...except being MCOCD.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
As an engineering manager, I have quite a few people working for me that had drastic career changes in their mid 30s into mid 40s due to downturn in economy or not passionate with what they were doing. Most went back to tech school/community college and obtained a 2 year degree (or classes towards) in Computer Aided Design ... they came from aviation technicians, a/c repair, automotive repair, housewife, sales, custom home builder/laborer, real estate, etc. The stronger mechanically inclined really accelerate in the mechanical design areas and likewise those with some electrical background make good progress in the printed wiring board/chip design/cabling areas. Decent pay, normal office hours, work inside in normal office environment with respectable employer provided benefits ... just a thought on possible avenues.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1972 MasterCraft w. Holman Moody
Col Sanders didnt create KFC till he retired. I think he was in his late 60's or 70's.

I am debating getting a food franchise - Nashville Hot Chicken, its huge here. But, the cube life I have now is really cush, 7-4 each day, 4 day weekends thru the summer. Its an easy way right now but, can I be here for another 20 yrs?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I'm not as old as you guys :0 but My father always told me life is all about what you can and can't deal with.

As a private pilot myself (Currently earning my IFR endorsement) I don know there is a lot of openings for flight instructors. In fact you could buy an airplane and do your own instruction and not work for someone else. You get to fly for free, teach what you like to do, and get paid for it. However there is not a ton of money in it if you don't have a decent client base.

I think in my retirement I will be doing just that. But I am a biased.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
www.poletoplate.com

My new venture at 42 y/o. I hoping it will have a following and take off. I have had a ton of positive feed back thus far.

So make the choices you want. It's never to late!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Not a bad idea Covi, I too urn for fresh fish. We baked up some catfish for dinner last night. It was good. But not that fresh. I'm guessing the price goes way up for your clients. And you are looking at finer restaurants. Correct?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
Am I crazy to pursue a new career at may age?
You'll never know until you try, you obviously have options to fall back of if it doesn't work. You'd be kicking yourself in the transom if in 5 years you look back and say "why didn't I do that?". Go for it Rod, good luck man.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
I thought I might be too old to go back to Grad school when i was 30 yrs, so i did a little reading before making my decision. Just a couple of examples from the numerous stories i read.

Ray Kroc was near 60 yrs when he started McDonalds.

Same for Henry Ford.......

They did ok ?

Its never too late to start a new adventure.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
I thought I might be too old to go back to Grad school when i was 30 yrs, so i did a little reading before making my decision. Just a couple of examples from the numerous stories i read.

Ray Kroc was near 60 yrs when he started McDonalds.

Same for Henry Ford.......

They did ok ?

Its never too late to start a new adventure.
Honestly, I think it may be much easier at that time. Generally, you are free of the financial obligation for your children at that time. Hopefully, your financial situation is at least somewhat secure by that point. That leaves you with the ability to go do something different and no one is going to go without food on the table or a roof over their head. I have just a few more years until I get there but it is well within sight. I keep telling myself that it is not that much longer.

Career change at 39 doable? Most certainly. Some/most people use their current job/background/education to springboard into something different. Some go back to school/training for a period to enable a different route. Determine what you want to do. Formulate a plan that gets you there. Decide if that plan is something you can live with. Go for it. Remember the old saying , plans rarely fail...