Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Pics in process of the stereo install and rewiring. I finished it up by 2pm yesterday. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367153619.519442.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  102.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367153652.789585.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  112.2 KB
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Congrats on the install, wish I had known.......
I have two of those SKM10 boxes I just put on CL.
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3769554494

The stock Comp speakers have no balls. The dust caps melted from the vc getting to hot. The problem is, the "marine" coating acts like an additional blanket inside a ported box (no air). After hours of play there is too much heat buildup. I don't see the point in putting a marinized speaker in that box which is sealed rotomolded plastic, speaker cone is plastic and surround is rubber. No different across the whole kicker line. The SKM10 package is nice for plug and play sound reinforcement, it just was not enough for what I was looking for.

Replaced with Comp VT and they were MUCH louder and had no problem playing hours in cove.
FYI, same basket depth but increased excursion so the stock grills are worthless.
I only used them the rest of the season, then discovered twin, ported L7 15's! Surface area and ports RULE!

Last edited by bsloop; 04-28-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
hey epnault, looks like you wore your helper out.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X45 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
You guys sure do a good job of spending people's money.

Here is the other end of the spectrum. I bought this 1988 24' Grumman w 50hp Force and tandem trailer for $700. It was supposed to be a flip but I put too much time and $$ into making it too nice to flip with a decent profit so I have kept it and really like!
Stripped it, refloored (prob not necessary), heavy duty carpet, new blue fencing, re-installed the aluminum top. DONE!
$2000 in parts, mainly flooring, carpet, .040 Al sheet, tires. Plus about 120 hrs (much of it learning time. kept track because a buddy was supposed to be 50/50 but he put up no money and only about 10 hrs)
Built a 4'x2'x2' storage box, also doubles as 2-3 seats.

The open space is great. I have a stack of 6 decent quality fabric covered metal deck chairs. Chairs move as the sun or conversation changes or out of the way when there are 6 coolers.
This utility boat has been more fun and added flexibility than I would have imagined.
2-3 times more fuel efficient and a low maintenance alternative to launching the fiberglass if all we are going to do is hang out for a few hours. (no wipe down

What to look for:
- Aluminum toons (better names may be larger diameter) TriToon would be great but significantly more $$
- 24' is really nice. Much more room than 20. 28' would be cool but my buddy has one and you do start to loose maneuverability. Easy for almost anyone to drive.
- Have a mechanic look over the OB for any big mechanical risks.
- Step and stomp all over the floor to check for soft spots, including moving furniture. Look underneath the deck as suggested and poke w screw driver. A soft area is not necessary a deal breaker. Just know it is there, will need to be torn down at some point and bargain hard accordingly.
- 50hp pushed our 24' to 21mph GPS with 4 people. Adding the top dropped us to 18mph but the shade is nice. Enough to tube small kids but if big kid towing is intended, you will prob need to step up to 80-115hp.
- Honda or a newer Merc would be ideal but Yamaha, Evinrude, whatever. Hopefully the mechanic can clue you to any issues. Ours is a Force which is generally regarded as crappy but it has worked 3 yrs.

You should be able to get into a decent turn key for $3-5k. Just look for one that has set for a few years and vinyl has turned crappy. Motor and other systems may be fine but aesthetic ugly duckling. Who cares the more that is wrong, is less you will get in trouble for breaking and more fun will be had.

Last couple - loaded with my PA gear and anchors for a holiday weekend
Coved in party line with all three of my fleet - Blue Toon, OPP (OtherPartyPlatform, 12'x24' w 5 logs), Mastercraft
So easy a 3yr old can drive
Redneck yacht club?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Thanks guys. Yes, my son had little patience to stick with me for the entire install.

Intesting that you mentioned the sub. For some reason it just quit working on the second song when I wa tuning the system. After I put the new deck, amp, and speakers the system sounded really good even without the amp. I am thinking about just returning it for a refund.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Thanks guys. Yes, my son had little patience to stick with me for the entire install.

Intesting that you mentioned the sub. For some reason it just quit working on the second song when I wa tuning the system. After I put the new deck, amp, and speakers the system sounded really good even without the amp. I am thinking about just returning it for a refund.
So the amp did not work or the sub specifically?
I am usually a fan of amplified speakers over using HU power. The HU usually does not have the power to properly push the coax bass at high play which then damages the speaker.
If you are one that is relatively happy with coax sound, I think the SKM10 would be adequate for low end reinforcement and will add to your music enjoyment.

My first thoughts are something is not wired correctly or not set properly in the myriad of switches and settings on the 700.5