Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Second prop selection

I couldnt wait any longer. I had to take my 98 Stars and Stripes out today. The boat ramp where I put in at didnt have their docks in yet and after talking to others about loading/unloading without them, I felt confident enough that it was alright. It actually would have been had I not misjudged the depth. Anyways I dinged my prop and need to get it fixed. Its not horrible but it is noticeable. My first question is what, if any damage am I doing to the boat by using it until I get a new one/ get the old one fixed and secondly I figure 2 is one and one is none, so I have decided to buy a second prop as a spare. Is there any reason to buy a second prop that is altered ie: not stock or has anybody tried any others and find that having 2 different type of props is beneficial. Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I think the answer depends on how you use the boat. Clue us in!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
If your perfectly happy with the current performance no need to change the prop specifications, but will still need to get it fixed. If your needing a little more hole shot or more top end than absolutely call oj which has awesome customer service or acme for a new one. OJ will definatly hook you up with a new prop and give you a heck of a deal on reconditioning the old.

Some more details of your setup will be beneficial in your prop selection.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-29-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Depends on the boat and boating you do. I have 07 X2 and run a 14" "torque" prop on the inland lake I keep my boat on most of the summer. It's perfect for wakeboarding and surfing and the boating I do on this lake all is short distance. I have access to a slalom boat so I don't need high end speed to ski while I'm on this lake.

I have a 13" prop I use while I'm on Lake Erie. This "speed" prop gives me better range (fuel economy) and top end speed for slalom skiing should rarely seen calm water conditions and the desire to take a slalom run in the big water materialize. Or for a run back to the harbor should conditions turn bad out of no where as Lake Erie is known for.

The 14" prop is where it's at when surfing with a boat load of friends on the inland lake. I will say that on the big water the 13" prop feels much more balanced for the boat without the surf set up. Having both props allows me to set the boat up for the type of boating and type of lake that I'll be on.