Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
94 ps 190 start issue

First day out was not what I was hoping for. Dunked her with what I thought was a freshly charged 2 year old Interstate Marine battery and only a soft click. I was getting power but not enough to do much other than hear a fuel injector and the aforementioned soft click, not the starter engaging at all. So, my thought goes to bad battery. Brought it home and put in a battery that came out of a 75 MC (that turned and ran yesterday with this battery). Same issue/sound. This time I did think to check other things like radio and I have power there. Next thought, could it be a fuse. I pulled the dash fuse area and was not expecting to see what I did. Are these special fuses, or just hidden under the metal looking shield/box? Am I on the right track, maybe Motor fuse mentioned on back of engine? What other suggestions plesae, I am ready to ski and my ride isn't. Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I would check the starter.

Check where the + and - connect. Is the ground good and tight on the bell housing.

Take a hammer and tap with some authority (not beat on or tear up) the casing of the starter. Then try to start it.

I'm guessing the starter is bad. The click is the starter solenoid trying to enguage the starter. I'm sure the armature is rusty or has bad spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM
MC Devotee

I am hoping the starter is not bad as it was replaced by PO 2 years ago. I have the fake a lake hooked up so later today I will try what you suggested with the starter. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Kyle, You Da Man! Sweet Fancy Moses, she is ALIVE! Few taps on the starter and my ski season begins. 61 degree water yesterday. Thanks, my attitude is dramatically better...matter of fact my wife just suggested Hooters for lunch. Today, much better than yesterday.