Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I love all the complaining about Ford and GM. When in reality most are drooling over GM equipped boats, they want or already own.

Not this guy!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I'm more of a Chevy guy, but have bought a Ford before. Any of you Ford guys want to comment on the 5.4L spitting spark plugs or having them break off in the head? 3 threads of aluminum engagement for a spark plug isn't good. My buddy had his spit a plug at 60K. Ford told him $3000 for a new head. I looked online and found people complaining about paying for the fix only to have it happen again. When his popped, they weren't even allowing heli-coil repairs. Ford wouldn't stand behind their mistake, and I have a hard time ever considering one again.

Of course if you're #1 a long time running and you have a design issue, that's a lot of recalls, especially when it's a $3000 repair.
Depends on the 5.4. They had a bad run in the mid 2000s. My 01 just eats coil packs every once in a while. On anything else, it's less of a problem. But its favorites are the ones up under the lip where you have to pull the engine to get to them. I still remember the conversation with the mechanic. For $300, we can replace those 2. For $400, we can replace them all.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I'm more of a Chevy guy, but have bought a Ford before. Any of you Ford guys want to comment on the 5.4L spitting spark plugs or having them break off in the head? 3 threads of aluminum engagement for a spark plug isn't good. My buddy had his spit a plug at 60K. Ford told him $3000 for a new head. I looked online and found people complaining about paying for the fix only to have it happen again. When his popped, they weren't even allowing heli-coil repairs. Ford wouldn't stand behind their mistake, and I have a hard time ever considering one again.

Of course if you're #1 a long time running and you have a design issue, that's a lot of recalls, especially when it's a $3000 repair.
I have a 2005 Expedition with the 3v 5.4L. It has a known issue with fuel injectors. Ford issued an extended warranty for 11 years or X (I forget) miles. However it is a fix on failure. I've had 6 of the 8 fail so far. Fuel injector gets stuck open. Dumps gas into the cyl which cannot all be burnt off. Goes into the cat which ends up getting clogged causing the engine to run horrendously. I recognized the symptoms early last time and took it to the dealer. However they tested the injectors and did not find the culprit injector. They did not that the cat was clogged and wanted me to pay. I declined and took the car back. A couple days later it got real bad and I took it back to the dealer and it was covered on the extended customer satisfaction warranty. You would think they would just replace all the injectors. But no, so far it has cost them not only 6 injectors but also 6 cats as well which are much more expensive.

That being said, I do really like my Expedition. The 5.4L pulls the boat really well. It goes really well in the snow. I like all the extra room when we take trips and/or go camping. I've been contemplating just replacing the final two injectors as they are not the ones in the rear which are hell to get to. But why should I do that when I might get a couple new cats out of it. Minus the fuel injectors, it has had zero other issues.

What I heard about the other year 5.4L Tritons, the most common failure is the coil-on-plug modules which are typical of a lot of Fords - what my independent mechanic tells me anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
My 01 Expedition keeps on plugging away with no signs of trouble (knock wood). My 89 Mustang was a POS, but Ford does well with trucks. Frankly, I wish we could get the Focus RS over here. Supposedly it goes pretty well, although, frankly, the MkVII GTI looks phenomenal.
Europe (and others) gets lots of cars that would be nice to have here. Or they get the car long before we see it like the TDI.

I just bought a used car. My first used car after having nothing but (10) new cars; the last six have been FMC. What an experience it is trying to find a decent used car in this area - mostly cars that have been beat to death or not maintained. I needed a car that will most likely become my son's if/when he goes off to college (another story) in a year or so, therefore I wanted something that we can do a bit of the maintenance on ourselves plus would have a good supply of parts availability in the junk yards. Oh, and it is my first non-big-3 car. Quite a departure for me.

Name:  DSCN0874 (Custom).JPG
Views: 80
Size:  109.2 KB
Its a 2004 VW Passat 2.8L V6 4Motion (think Audi Quattro). The problem for my son is that I've taken a liking to the car.

Wow, did I get off topic. It's almost like it is still the off season.

I still think it is just amazing that a company the size of Ford has put itself into a position where it's financial success is dependent upon on line. But I guess it is better to be really successful in one area opposed to mediocre in a few.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Depends on the 5.4. They had a bad run in the mid 2000s. My 01 just eats coil packs every once in a while. On anything else, it's less of a problem. But its favorites are the ones up under the lip where you have to pull the engine to get to them. I still remember the conversation with the mechanic. For $300, we can replace those 2. For $400, we can replace them all.
I have an 01 f-150 supercrew and had to replace the rear coil packs under the a/c line. I certainly did not have to pull the engine to get to them. They are tough to get at but they come out so you can change the plugs. I have 158000 miles on the old girl and besides normal wear items my repairs are two coil packs, new pinion oil seal, two sway bar end links and the a/c blower fan . Did all the repairs myself for maybe 300 dollars in parts cost. There is a youtube video for every f-150 repair you can think of. The smart move on that engine would be to change the rear four cop's out when you change the plugs at 100K, the front coils can be swapped out in minutes.