Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Those connections are amazing!

I have switched to a plastic tub for running the boat in the driveway. That provides a sufficient water supply.

Once you can keep the engine running and warmed up, I would check for a vacuum leak around the base of the carb. Using a little caution, spray carb cleaner using the provided straw around the base of the carb. If the idle speed up, you found a leak and need to replace the gasket. Remember there are two gaskets on either side of the spacer.

As far as the idle mixture goes, the base setting for the mixture screws is 1.5 turns out from lightly seated. This will make it run reasonably well, though a small adjustment might be made searching for the sweet spot.

The choke should blade should be lightly closed on a cold engine, and should be fully open within a minute of start-up. Power is supplied to the choke housing and will open the choke regardless of whether the engine is running, so pay attention to key position.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Those connections are amazing!

I have switched to a plastic tub for running the boat in the driveway. That provides a sufficient water supply.

Once you can keep the engine running and warmed up, I would check for a vacuum leak around the base of the carb. Using a little caution, spray carb cleaner using the provided straw around the base of the carb. If the idle speed up, you found a leak and need to replace the gasket. Remember there are two gaskets on either side of the spacer.

As far as the idle mixture goes, the base setting for the mixture screws is 1.5 turns out from lightly seated. This will make it run reasonably well, though a small adjustment might be made searching for the sweet spot.

The choke should blade should be lightly closed on a cold engine, and should be fully open within a minute of start-up. Power is supplied to the choke housing and will open the choke regardless of whether the engine is running, so pay attention to key position.
Today I finally got her running and warmed up. She does not seem to want to start at a full idle. Around 1000 RPM she seems to start then after a few seconds I can pop her back to center neutral and she idles around 800 rpm. I can not get her to idle any lower, the Idle adjustment screw is not even making contact with the throttle lever. Once she warmed up I did spray some carb cleaner and I had no change in idle. So far so good. I do have issues around 3500 RPM but those are documented in the Engine Drive train section. Just because it makes me happy to hear her idle I have a dumb boring video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsofiz43sT4

Other than that I replaced the starter solenoid and replaced the broken spring in the throttle lever so it locks into neutral.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Going out on a limb here... This isnt quite what I am supposed to find in the shaft seal is it? Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366929395.686417.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  69.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
Going out on a limb here... This isnt quite what I am supposed to find in the shaft seal is it?

Not good!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

I finally did my compression test and I used a vacuum gauge to tweak the carb a bit. Compression as follows:
1. 120 psi
2. 120 psi
3. 100 psi
4. 125 psi
5.117 psi
6. 125 psi
7. 105 psi
8.120 psi

3 and 7 are a little concerning, could this be part of my trouble trying to get over 3500 rpm?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
oh that little guy. I wouldn't worry about that little guy.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
No big deal on the shaft seal. Clean it up, remove the old packing, put in some new, call it a day.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
No big deal on the shaft seal. Clean it up, remove the old packing, put in some new, call it a day.
I am ordering my goretex packing today, that crusty powder seems to be all that is left of the packing. It does explain why my shaft slid so easily.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Quite a restoration.
My 240sc is not in near as bad of shape but considering a full interior and more rebuild in the next year.

Don't want to clog this rebuild thread with a huge engine cooling debate but I have no problem running the motor on an engine flush. Mine has the Perko inline flush which makes winterizing and drive way running super easy. http://www.amazon.com/Perko-0456DP7-.../dp/B00144D86Y
I have never used the "fake a lake" plunger style but I don't think there is a problem there either. Just because it is not maximum flow does not mean there is not enough for sufficient cooling and lube of impellers. I have run mine for 10+min with no issue, you can watch the engine get warm, t-stats open then close with no problem.
Just a suggestion.

Do some research on marine sewing and upholstery, it is more specialized than auto.
Keep up the hard work.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

I got lots o goodies this week. Unfortunately it has been raining all week and even worse this weekend. I used the opportunity to start my trans rebuild today. I was doing pretty good until I snapped my forward clutch cylinder in the shop press. Not a great moment, but other than than and one solid hour of swearing at and calling the woodruff key names that even I find offensive things went pretty smoothly.

Amongst the plethora of toys I received this weekend my favorite I have not yet had time to play with. I got a dual action polisher, 6 lake country pads, 143 degree T-stat, shop press, pneumatic stapler for upholstery, 2 v belts, SS staples, thread, heat gun, rubbing compound from 3M, and a partridge and a pair tree. This week we are supposed to get 4/5 of our vinyl (black is backordered), carpet, replacement forward clutch cylinder, and some decent weather. I really need to build a barn for this darn boat.