As mentioned in my other thread :
After changing the ATF fuid of my velvet drive 71c (model 10-17-004) (which had probably never been changed) the transmission started slipping severely. I decided, it was time for a rebuild, so here goes the write-up:
Tools/fluids/parts you’ll need:
- Dexron III ATF oil (preferably mineral)
- WD40 / engine cleaner
- Rebuild kit (includes forward and reverse clutch plates, seals and gaskets) http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/p/ALT23901
- Complete snap ring set or at least front bearing snap ring:
- Possibly a new damper plate:
(All these parts are also available elsewhere (i.e. skidim.) I have no affiliation with ebasic.
- An arbor press (mainly to compress the clutch pack)
- Snap ring pliers
- Rubber mallet (came in very handy)
- The usual assortment of torque wrench(es), socket (hex but also at least one 3/8" 12 points socket), etc.
- One big (38mm) 1-1/2” hex socket
- A feeler gauge 0.018" to 0.055" (to set clutch clearance)
- Shop or service manuals:
different manual attached to this post. look below transmission tag.
Important things to remember:
This thread does not cover reduction ratios.
Stage the parts in order as you are pulling them out to remember how they go back in.
If you can, take pictures as you go in case you forget how/when a particular part came out.
Make sure to note position of pump housing (this is particular to your engine’s rotation direction.)
Read service manual and thread completely before starting
Last edited by Wouter; 04-29-2013 at 05:43 AM.