Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
TT Newbie

'87 Prostar 190 stereo upgrade NEEDED!

Alright, I'm currently running the equipment that came with it, and I believe it is still the same stuff from factory. It has a cassette tape deck, and the four stock speakers.

NEED suggestions and not trying to break the bank! Haha currently using one of those cassette tape adapters to listen to my iPhone.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
The problem is trying to find a waterproof unit that fits in that very narrow 2.5" slot provided. Most marine stereos need at least 4 inches of height for the cover. Some guys have put in "Fusion" stereos but they were more than I wanted to spend ($350ish).

Fusion stereo

Here is what I did, but in doing so got a lot of flak from the "don't cut into a classic crowd". There stereo ran me under $100. I also put in an amp and some new speakers.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51274
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Find yourself a single DIN auto deck. There are some pretty nice versions out there for about $150 with IPod interface, Bluetooth, USB etc. Four decent 6 1/2" speakers (go marine here) in the boat and then a moderate sized amp and sub under the bow. The whole thing can be done pretty cheap and it sounds great.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Find yourself a single DIN auto deck. There are some pretty nice versions out there for about $150 with IPod interface, Bluetooth, USB etc. Four decent 6 1/2" speakers (go marine here) in the boat and then a moderate sized amp and sub under the bow. The whole thing can be done pretty cheap and it sounds great.
This! An automotive receiver with a radio cover will sound great, not cost a fortune, and work well for a long time. My $130 JVC is six years old and going strong.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Wow!! How did you manage 6 years? I've been through two in 3 years!! Granted, the stereo is mounted in a different location- in the center near the mirror, but it's got a splash cover on it. Maybe I just got unlucky? I think I'm going to go with a marine head unit this time, in the hopes that I get a little more time out of it.
G
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
the POLK db series speakers (like in the picture above) i hear are great speakers. I just bought 4 of them for the system i am dropping in my S&S. I think i was able to find 2 pairs of speakers for $130 on ebay. I also picked up a sony marine head unit (with cd AM/FM, usb, and aux) for $140 off ebay. Some people worry about buying electronics on ebay, but i have NEVER had an issue.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:11 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The Polk Store on ebay is a great resource for speakers.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Depending on what your budget is, I picked up a clarion m309 head unit and four JL audio MX650's for just over $500 all in. The speakers were the most expensive part but, IMHO, worth every penny.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
The challenge with a single DIN is there isn't a great way to secure the unit both to and behind the dash. Another issue is the current marine covers are all too large to fit the 'stock' location on the dash. I also didn't want to spend a ton of money. I decided on the Fusion MS-RA205, list is $249 but I think I found it on sale for $199. And, you don't need to buy a cover (which won't fit the boat anyway). It has a USB input on the back. I just use an Apple cable run into the back and keep the i-device under the dash nearest the driver. It syncs with my ipod to show the playlists, etc. It also has decent FM reception and is compatible with Sirus. I did have to cut the opening slightly, and picked up a trim plate from a car stereo shop as a filler, b/c the Fusion is slightly taller, but more narrow than OEM unit. I can post pictures when I get home tonight. For speakers I went with Polk (don't remember the number) marine certified which were available locally. The Fusion could benefit from an amp - but it's fine as is. It's survived a couple of bow dunkings where a tidal wave came over the windshield, rain, etc and works great.
I 'almost' went with a marine amp along with an ipod idaptor - which is another good option. Especially if FM/Sirus doesn't mean anything to you.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for all the input! I've got a guy on the river here that has also given me some suggestions, gonna take a look at his setup in his PS.