Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar VRS200 1998 LT1
I was at my local dealer last week- He said MC makes 2400 boats per year, and I'm sure they have no problem finding 2400 buyers. He is sold out for the year. It sounded like many of his buyers were trading in newer boats, so the hit wasn't real bad. I still can't justify $100+ for a boat- I have other priorities, although the new X10s and X30s are sure tempting!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
MC has been jacking their MSRP to help dealers with floorplan financing so that loaded 197 w/ 90k MSRP is more like 60k when its all bought and paid for...still a ton of money for a boat that sold for a little more than half that when the hull was brand new.
Do you really think a dealer is going to take a 1/3 loss of MSRP to sell a new boat at invoice, I think not, a few thousand sure maybe 10-15k if the dealer wants to push the boat, but definitely not 30k. I personally have never seen an official MSRP sheet on a new MC from the manufacture and MC does not publish this info on their build a boat site either, (do these boats even come with one) both dealers around here just print their own up. Since the MSRP is a suggested price, the dealer is free to charge whatever he wants to.

Interesting link, it sure does break everything down... http://www.seedealercost.com/product...gorySlug/boats

If you compare some other brands they all seem to have a 33.33% markup from invoice to MSRP.

If you take this and compare it to say a 2013 Chevy 1500 4.3L 2wd work truck invoice $22,646; MSRP $23,590 about 4.5% difference, but who would buy a base truck for $30,193. hmm I think not.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-21-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Do you really think a dealer is going to take a 1/3 loss of MSRP to sell a new boat at invoice, I think not, a few thousand sure maybe 10-15k if the dealer wants to push the boat, but definitely not 30k. I personally have never seen an official MSRP sheet on a new MC from the manufacture and MC does not publish this info on their build a boat site either, (do these boats even come with one) both dealers around here just print their own up. Since the MSRP is a suggested price, the dealer is free to charge whatever he wants to.

Interesting link, it sure does break everything down... http://www.seedealercost.com/product...gorySlug/boats

If you compare some other brands they all seem to have a 33.33% markup from invoice to MSRP.

If you take this and compare it to say a 2013 Chevy 1500 4.3L 2wd work truck invoice $22,646; MSRP $23,590 about 4.5% difference, but who would buy a base truck for $30,193. hmm I think not.
Just a hunch, but I bet those invoice cost vs MSRP numbers are close. Using the X-30 as an example (as it's new, and seems to be generating interest). Just 'assume' that boat sells for $85K (could be way less) - that is $20K profit. Out of that comes Operating Expenses...salaries, rent, advertising/marketing, insurance, taxes, utilities just to name several leaving the dealership's net income. Which is probably less than 3%. Now 'assume' the dealer isn't in a year 'round boating area, maybe it's the Midwest or Northeast. Meaning new boats are typically sold only a few months a year. They'd better have a great service and accessory business or else I don't see how they could make it on new boat sales only.

And, back to the OP's original post - I know several guys with new boats that got their money the old fashioned way. They inherited it. It seems the rich get richer and boat manufacturers go after this segment. OTOH, since a fiberglass boat doesn't really 'wear out' they are competing with themselves for a new boat sale as used boats are so prolific and quite often the 'trustafarian' that has inherited money didn't watch his dad rebuild Johnson's and Evinrudes growing up (like I did). That customer is buying warranty and service and probably not reading this forum to find out how to install a dual battery set up

Lastly, if MC is floorplanning they must have some solid corporate financing.....
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Just a hunch, but I bet those invoice cost vs MSRP numbers are close. Using the X-30 as an example (as it's new, and seems to be generating interest). Just 'assume' that boat sells for $85K (could be way less) - that is $20K profit. Out of that comes Operating Expenses...salaries, rent, advertising/marketing, insurance, taxes, utilities just to name several leaving the dealership's net income. Which is probably less than 3%. Now 'assume' the dealer isn't in a year 'round boating area, maybe it's the Midwest or Northeast. Meaning new boats are typically sold only a few months a year. They'd better have a great service and accessory business or else I don't see how they could make it on new boat sales only.

And, back to the OP's original post - I know several guys with new boats that got their money the old fashioned way. They inherited it. It seems the rich get richer and boat manufacturers go after this segment. OTOH, since a fiberglass boat doesn't really 'wear out' they are competing with themselves for a new boat sale as used boats are so prolific and quite often the 'trustafarian' that has inherited money didn't watch his dad rebuild Johnson's and Evinrudes growing up (like I did). That customer is buying warranty and service and probably not reading this forum to find out how to install a dual battery set up

Lastly, if MC is floorplanning they must have some solid corporate financing.....
Don't forget the dealership makes money on both sides of financing.
As a buyer why would I take into consideration the business expenses, I am buying a product not the store. Don't go straight for the worst case scenario on their operating style.
You are mostly right on not being able to make it on new boat sales alone but as a buyer you shouldn't even think twice about their actual business expenses, I'd be more worried about the warranty aspect of things.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X45 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I know in Canada the longest i've heard of is 20 years, which i think is way too long. I think if you have to finance a boat for that long you cant afford it.
Amen.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
My question is, Why does it matter? we all bought boats to have fun and enjoy family time etc.. in the end how it gets paid for is up to whoever owns it. if its financed, paid cash, why does it matter to anyone but who bought the boat?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
My question is, Why does it matter? we all bought boats to have fun and enjoy family time etc.. in the end how it gets paid for is up to whoever owns it. if its financed, paid cash, why does it matter to anyone but who bought the boat?
completely agree.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I've had older boats owned outright. (LIke now) and for a 5-6 year window I had a few new ones with payments.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Don't forget the dealership makes money on both sides of financing.
As a buyer why would I take into consideration the business expenses, I am buying a product not the store. Don't go straight for the worst case scenario on their operating style.
You are mostly right on not being able to make it on new boat sales alone but as a buyer you shouldn't even think twice about their actual business expenses, I'd be more worried about the warranty aspect of things.
I agree it's not the buyer's concern over the business aspect of the dealership. I wandered into the realm of 'how can a boat dealer survive in a part of the country that only sells boats (with a starting price of $85K) for 4 months'? And following up on that, maybe they also sell quads, or snowmobiles or other toys to help with cash flow when it's not boating season.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Sportstar 19/305 Chevy Indmar (4160 Carbed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
Are you sure???

Cause I was told that B.O.A.T. stood for (Bust Out Another Thousand)...
same difference :-)