Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 05-05-2005, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 PS197 w/310TBI previous 1994 Prostar 205 w/LT1
Well, As you can see I live in an igloo and it rarely gets above freezing here, but in reality I do regularly deal with drops below freezing in the early spring and late fall. I have left my boat out on the marine railway in the fall when the temp. drops to -8C ( that's into the teens for the U.S. guys). My experience has been that unless it stays below freezing for several days in a row, without warming up in the day-time, you need not be concerned. But, like I say, I do drop the trouble light in the engine box on a rare occassion if I'm feeling skidish the nights that it gets really cold and I want a good night sleep. Right now it is dropping to
-3C at nights and I am not worrying about it. F--- it's cold up here this year!
P.S. glad someone finally made a comment about my name!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
tom.....thx....it was wasted on 95% of this board tho'........i bet you're asked to a lot of karaoke contests eh?????

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJC
[N]ow I just need to figure out how to drain the raw water pump easily. At a minimum drain the block, itís the most expensive part. Jamie
On the older boats, if you remove the kill switch and spin the engine a few times, it will spit the water out of the pump housing. Will that not work on the newer boats?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I'm going out to buy some hose quick dis-connects today for my heater. Great idea. Thanks for posting it.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Tahoe, 2007
Ok - here's the deal... you need to know the difference between the ambient temp and the temp in the engine compartment. Mine is a difference of 6 degrees. So I'm good to 26 degrees, but that's pushing the fold. I just got my boat back from spring maint and today and it is supposed to dip to 24 degrees tonight (4/20 - ***?). To make up the other 2 degree's I use an old electric blanket. I know everyone is whacked about the spark factor, but if you put the control switchbox in a ziplock outside of the engine compartment the risk of spark is so very small you should be good. The temp in the engine compartment w/the blanket makes a 5 - 8 degree diff from the ambient -so with the standard 6, the min temp where this would be effective would be at 21 degree's. At, or below that, winterize. This happens every so often to me after I de-winterize when the boat is still on the trailor so I'm hoping this continues to be a good method.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Some have hung light in their dog house... but you need about 24 hours at 24 degrees iirc to worry about it...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Wait a minute, we jumped from 5-5-2005 to 4-20-13?

Holy Timewarp Batman!
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Just got mine today and of course a low of 28 tonight. Dog house was still a little warm from running it today, but I drained the block and manifolds. I just came in from from weeding through the hoses and didn't have the light of the patience to figure out the heater and shower lines. Should be ok but worst case I covered the big ticket portion. Where the hell is spring this year guys?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraft13 View Post
Just got mine today and of course a low of 28 tonight. Dog house was still a little warm from running it today, but I drained the block and manifolds. I just came in from from weeding through the hoses and didn't have the light of the patience to figure out the heater and shower lines. Should be ok but worst case I covered the big ticket portion. Where the hell is spring this year guys?
It's not in Minnesota.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Some have hung light in their dog house... but you need about 24 hours at 24 degrees iirc to worry about it...
Bear in mind that while wind temp doesn't lower metal temperature, it does speed temperature loss.

This is the fact that "wind chill" will never reduce the temps of surfaces below ambient, it will just get them to ambient FAST.

Where this is important; if it is windy and below freezing, that wind will increase the probability of a hard freeze in the engine. A bulb can warm the compartment, so long as there isn't a bunch of air flow, so the bulb making heat in an insulated engine box, with the tarp on securely then that is better than untarped.

If you park it in a lean to or a garage, or even behind a row of trees blocking the wind, that will be better.

My favorite are magnetic block heaters, gets the heat where you need it (the block) not just randomly in the bilge.