Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Reputable brand and highest amp 7SI alternator?

So I now am looking to upgrade the alternator on my X-10. AFter reading some post on here it seems like DB Electrical is a good middle of the road brand that people ar having luck with. Unfortunately when I called them today, they said they do not make a high amp 7SI and had no other alternator to offer for my application.

They referred me to Wrangler Electrical which appears to have been bought out or be part of Balmar. I'd rather not spend that much money on an alternator unecessarily, so I'm looking to see what anybody else has done when seeking a high amp alternator that originally had a 7SI. I found one direct replacement but it is only 105 amps...I'd like 160-200.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
ummmmmmm 160-200? For what?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM
TT Regular

not sure of the need to explain, but....

3 - 31 series AGM batteries

4 tower lights
3 ballast pumps
4 amps
JL 1200/1 - (100amp fuse)
JL 600/4 - (50 amp fuse)
2 * 750/1 - (60 amp fuse * 2)
head unit
running lights

Now I know not all of these will be run at once, nor do the amps pull all the way up to the fuse ratings...not anywhere near that most times, but looking for overkill rather than wishing I had more.

--------------------------------------

Anyhow, for those that are interested, I got in touch with Balmar today and they are due to have a 165amp 7SI out in April...but the price tag is $1,100 and that requires an external regulator at an additional cost

I'm gonna take some measruements tonight to see what else I can fit in there with some minor mods.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I dont know what year your x-10 is but drive belt may be an issue with that kind of upgrade.
Plulling 160-200 amps usually requres larger and heavier belts which means changing pullys on both the alt and crank.

That kind of amperage also costs $$$, just like every other part of your well outfitted system.
Gotta pay to play!

You might talk to an autmotive electrical shop. My local shop rebuilt my marine alt with better quality rectifier and other components and adjusted the output at a given rpm. I think it tested around 130a. I had to add a second v-belt and different pully on the alt. Cost me $150-175 as I recall but it has lasted 3 years and my system can draw twice as much as yours. (I have a few other tricks that minimize my electrical draw however)

Big thing to remember, dont run the batteries down, then leave the cove at an idle with the system rocking. This is a tripple draw on the system and will burn up things in a hurry.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 PM
TT Regular

Update for those who are interested.

When i originally called about the 7si upgrade i was told other alts likely wouldnt fit. Well in desparation i bought a universal 220 amp marine alt from dbelectrical and figured id take it upon myself to locate a bracket that would fit. Turns out when i got it in hand that the mounting dimensions are the same as factory just the case is larger. The fit is a bit more snug but it works. Issue appears to be solved based on a short run today with stereo cranked up. Saved nearly a grand over the balmar so even if i have to replace down the road i'll still be ahead $$$ wise.

Will update later after more usage.

Jason
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Current Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X2 Previous Boats: 2004 Super Air Nautique Team Edition, 1990 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Jason,
I am currently trying to accomplish the same task of upgrading the 7si alternator on my RTP motor. Did that DB universal 220A work with the connector that was on the 7si or did you have to modify it? Also, what gauge wire did you upgrade from alt to starter and starter to the battery? Lastly, how did it work out for you last season?

Thanks,
- Justin
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by engkid_486 View Post
Jason,
I am currently trying to accomplish the same task of upgrading the 7si alternator on my RTP motor. Did that DB universal 220A work with the connector that was on the 7si or did you have to modify it? Also, what gauge wire did you upgrade from alt to starter and starter to the battery? Lastly, how did it work out for you last season?

Thanks,
- Justin
Hi Justin,

I wouldn't hesitate to go this route again. All last season and so far this season I have been fine. Haven't put a third battery in yet, but with a 31 series AGM dedicated to the amps (JL 1200/1, JL 600/4, JL 750/1, and Alpine PDX4.100) and a 27 series staring battery hooked togther via a ignition activated relay I've had no power issues. I admittingly run the boat for a few minutes every 30 mins or so to avoid dead batteries while hanging out listening to the tunes...but that is from not having a large bank of batteries...nothing to do with alternator.

The alternator fit in the 7si brackets, just was a bit more snug against engine block than before but didn't require clearancing anywhere. Belt fit and lined up perfectly. I upgraded the wire to starter to 2 gauge and actually kept in place the factory wire...so I have two wires going to starter. IIRC I also added another 2 gauge ground from the case, but I'd have to check. You can order the alternator with a variety of regulators on it. I opted not to use the one wire configuration. It came with a plug but not the same as what is on the 7si unit. A buddy and I did a test run on the lake to find out which wires did what and what triggered the alternator to activate using a voltmeter and test light. So I have a plug, just not the factory one and the alt is triggered by a key on wire, not by revving the motor.

I can look to see what wire went where if you'd like. Only reason I tested myself was that I received just as many different answers on what wire should go where as the number of people I spoke to. Mine works fine, so as long as you end up with the same regulator you should be able to get it working...just probaly best to test yourself to make sure nothing is unique to your wiring. Looking at a pic on my phone from last year, the regulator I received from them has a 4 pin plug with pins labeled as (P; L; I/F; S) in that order from left to right look at back of alternator.

Good Luck - Jason
Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Current Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X2 Previous Boats: 2004 Super Air Nautique Team Edition, 1990 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Thanks for the advice! I think im going to go for it and use the test light/multimeter route as well for the plug. off the top of you head... do you rememeber what size wire you upgraded from the starter back to the power distribution block/switch/relay that goes to your two batteries?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
TT Regular

I didnt upgrade that piece, it was already 2awg. I ran 1/0 from the batteries to amp distribution block then 4awg from there to each amp.