Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X25
I always find it interesting to read these topics because of all the different view/walks of life we come from. In my opinion you will never come out ahead on a boat. NEVER! Regardless if it is brand new or old, so the best thing to do is purchase whatever your family feels is right for them and have fun. In the end.....it doesn't matter. Live and Love!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonb1822 View Post
I always find it interesting to read these topics because of all the different view/walks of life we come from. In my opinion you will never come out ahead on a boat. NEVER! Regardless if it is brand new or old, so the best thing to do is purchase whatever your family feels is right for them and have fun. In the end.....it doesn't matter. Live and Love!
Amen to this. Interesting thread to read. We're one of those people who just bought a new X-55, so first - to all those who said thank god for the used market, you're welcome in a few years Used markets exist because some people buy new.

I've got different philosophies on a few things when it comes to purchasing. First, we're very fortunate to make a great living. Then it's kind of a "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs" approach. We max savings and prepping for retirement. For our houses (have moved multiple times) we prefer to buy new and the nicest house we can afford - because sometimes they appreciate more than houses at other price points and and the interest deduction doesn't hurt. For our cars, I've personally looked to buy a used late model, low miles vehicle and pay it as soon as possible. And buy an extended warranty. More of a utility thing - I need transportation.

So next on the ladder - no debt in credit cards or other loans. Just a house. Then a boat - a luxury buy to create great family time and memories. Top of the Maslow pyramid. We went for a great boat and bought new - because we wanted a warranty and the fewest problems (I have scarce time and limited boating time so want to max the time we have). Going to do a 15 year loan. But will never pay it off. Why this?
1. Could do a shorter loan or mostly cash, but at 6%, could possibly make more with the cash
2. Will keep it long enough to get through the depreciation curve - maybe 5-6 years, then likely sell it. Roll the loan over to next boat, unless interest rates are way up.

So short story - we went high end because we're fortunate to be able to and already have taken care of the more important financial needs. And the loan is a better financial play for us.

Different strokes...
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X45 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler34 View Post
My guess. 30 year loans. You can get a mortgage on a new boat over 100k. Love my 04!
30 years? I do not believe any bank is offering 30 year terms for a wakeboard boat.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
I know in Canada the longest i've heard of is 20 years, which i think is way too long. I think if you have to finance a boat for that long you cant afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012X45 View Post
30 years? I do not believe any bank is offering 30 year terms for a wakeboard boat.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190 Sammy Duvall
Send a message via AIM to David4MCSammyDuvall Send a message via Yahoo to David4MCSammyDuvall
The prices on current MasterCraft boats are CRAZY ! I believe that the economy has pushed the MasterCraft Boat Company to shift their focus from the middle class people to elite/upper class people in order to keep in business. It seems that they found several loopholes to sell their boats. Loans/stretching the months of payments/several programs that allow you to get a cash back. I own 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190 Sammy Duvall with 300 hours on it. It's paid off. No more boat payments. I lost the count of how many people came up to me and made offers to buy my boat. It's because they cannot afford the current prices of MasterCraft boats. You can see so many new MasterCrafts on the Classified Advertisements. It shows that the owners realized the impact of paying a hefty monthly payments. The MasterCraft Boat Dealership here have been contacting me with different offers to trade my boat for a newer model because they knew that someone would buy my boat immediately. I can't afford any more boat payments nowadays. I'm unemployed. Can't find work. So I'm enjoying my life here at my lake on my MasterCraft boat.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
My boat in the garage is paid for and the newer boat I will buy soon will be paid for in cash.

I do not like to finance a depreciating asset.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
I will have my boat till I'm dead....

I'm sure whatever is coming out in 2014 to replace/upgraded 190/197 will be around the $100,000 mark.

I think a new 197 with a few options and the 6.0L is bumping $90,000 right now. That's on a 12 year old hull that came out in 2001.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcparadise View Post
B.O.A.T. (break out another thousand).
Are you sure???

Cause I was told that B.O.A.T. stood for (Bust Out Another Thousand)...
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Buying a new boat today seems way different than it was years ago.

My 1st MC was a '94 Prostar that I purchased new. Price was a lot compared to cheaper ski boats, but no more expensive than say a Cobalt or Chris Craft at that time. Good quality boats are never at the cheaper end of the scale.

Since that time, I always look for a deal. Example, my '03 Maristar 230 only had 6 hours on it even though it was used for 2 seasons. Paid at least $10K less than it was really worth.

Bought my '05 X-star in Jan '07.....it was a new leftover with full waranty. Got it for $18K below MSRP.

These kinds of deals are almost impossible to find these days, so I'll be keeping my X-star for many, many years. If I have to replace the engine for $10K or trans for $5K it will still be way cheaper than a new boat. It's a recreational vehicle that gets used 6 months so to me there is no need for a new one.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
I will have my boat till I'm dead....

I'm sure whatever is coming out in 2014 to replace/upgraded 190/197 will be around the $100,000 mark.

I think a new 197 with a few options and the 6.0L is bumping $90,000 right now. That's on a 12 year old hull that came out in 2001.
MC has been jacking their MSRP to help dealers with floorplan financing so that loaded 197 w/ 90k MSRP is more like 60k when its all bought and paid for...still a ton of money for a boat that sold for a little more than half that when the hull was brand new.