Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 03 197TT 6.0 Cadillac YQ-9
Stark Raving Mad with Fear

Okay. It's snowing again here in Michigan and the new boat is in the drive. We've had 4" of rain here in the last 56 hours.

Well, I went to put a lightbulb in the engine compartment to be on the safe side, and when I pulled the cover, there was an inch and a half water in the back half of the boat. I could've sworn I'd pulled the plug, but that's obviously not the case. The bow was tipped up, so from the drivers seat forward it was "dry". I've got a master power switch that has been engaged the whole time.

So my question is this, what kind of damage can I expect from this? It's draining right now, but the damn thing is soaked. I've owned it two weeks now and am drinking strong and fast out of fear right now.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Someone else may chime in with some other ideas, but here's my thoughts. Change the transmission fluid, it's probably got water in it. If the water level reached the alternator or starter you may have a problem with them, but don't assume. Let it dry out and try it out. Mine had a similar situation, didn't get as high as the alternator but the starter was soaked. I opened the engine cover and let it dry for a day in the sun and it started fine and has been working ever since.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Was it frozen? If not you should be good, down in Ohio here and we are looking at below freezing temps tomorrow night, have only had mine a few days also. I will be draining the block and heater core tomorrow just to be safe.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Not frozen. Been above freezing whole time. Will tonight though which is why I put lightbulb in it.

Starter got wet as its lower down. Not sure about alternator.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
My thoughts you'll be fine. Next nice day take the cover off, remove seat and engine box let it dry out. Tonight don't stop drinking!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Half the scotch is gone lready.
Can't get the sight of the flooded engine well and floor out of my head. Up to top of transmission box. Think I should replace fluids? Sparks are all new, but...
Need another glass.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdhntr View Post
Half the scotch is gone lready.
Can't get the sight of the flooded engine well and floor out of my head. Up to top of transmission box. Think I should replace fluids? Sparks are all new, but...
Need another glass.
My thoughts are get it dried out and then change the the oil ASAP. It's only oil! Good excuse to run the engine and see how things are.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Storage unit

That's exactly why I keep mine in a storage unit. It cost me $1100.00 a year but it's always dry and clean. I can't imagine leaving my Mastercraft outside.

I think you'll be fine but I would look for a place to keep it indoors, it will save a ton in the long run!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Drain it. Determine if water was over trans fill. If it was, used a vacuum removal and suck off the bottom. Water is heavier and will fall to the bottom. Check the fluid removed for water, if no water, refill and no worries. If there is, don't know the best sure fire way to removed all the water.

Let it dry but there will be little near term problem with starter or alt if they were covered. Rain water is "better" than dirty lake water or salt for sure. Life will likely be shortened but could be 1-4 yrs before it needs to be rebuilt.

For the nubies worried about block freezing - all but zero chance. General rule is 24 degrees for 24 hours before damage. That means, temp does NOT get above 24 degrees for more than a day!
A casual dip overnight will have zero effect. Set out a cup of water, likely it will not even freeze over let alone solid, now consider your block is insulated in the engine compartment and has 500# of metal that also has to cool below freezing before water can freeze.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Not so much worried about the block, as stated it takes time for 500lbs of metal to cool down but the heater core and shower lines it what my concern would be.