Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x9
New to the board (and MC ownership in general) and was hoping someone had some experience with retro-fitting some of the newer style board racks onto a '03 x9/209 factory tower.

The existing racks are the telescopic kind that only open to ~19", and accomodate a board thickness of less than 1"...essentially only designed for wakeboards. I will be primarily WakeSurfing on this rig (sacks are a different science project) so I would love some of the open ended clamp style racks that I've seen on my buddy's X2's, X30's, etc.

Is there anyway to use 'collars' to mount the newer style racks on my tower uprights, or perhaps modify the existing "X" plate, that the current racks are mounted to, to through bolt the clamp style?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by jewilson2; 04-19-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Hit save too early
Old 04-19-2013, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I retrofit some 2004+ clamp style racks to mine last year. My main problem with the old racks was that my wakesurf board was too wide to fit in them. I bought the new racks off ebay and sold my 2003 racks individually. The 2003 racks are really hard to find, and there are probably a few people looking for a single rack. I think I came pretty close to breaking even on the whole affair.

To make the 2004 racks work, you have to cut out a large rectangle for the clamp handle to pass through and drill a hole for a screw. The picture shows one side complete with the other marked up. Working with that aluminum was not fun, and it too me a long time over the winter.

A guy on here had a pair of sampson typhoon racks for sale for $500. I think he may have sold them, but if they are still available, I would get those instead. It will save you a lot of trouble, and I would like having the swivel option. I have to remove my racks a few times every summer when we go to big on the water parties where we will be tied up with other boats with towers. I think they retail for over $1000. I don't think I'd pay that much for them.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something on how the swivel racks work, but it seems you could could just mount them via collar on the existing tower upright post?

Your idea would work too...nice job. Is there a specific Year model for the MC rack you used?

I'd be willing to part with both sets of my 03's if I can find a viable option.

Thanks again
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewilson2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I must be missing something on how the swivel racks work, but it seems you could could just mount them via collar on the existing tower upright post?

Your idea would work too...nice job. Is there a specific Year model for the MC rack you used?
Thanks again
I used 2004 racks, but I think they were the same for a few years after that.

If you are talking about the factory swivel racks, they don't mount with collars. The whole assembly swivels. I haven't seen anyone retrofit them, and I'm not eve sure it's possible. I think you would come out better off going with some aftermarket sampson racks. This pic kinda shows how the factory swivel racks work.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
TT Newbie

Thank again. I'll check out the Sampsons.