Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Crest 22 Le
Tower speaker broken screws

I have a 2007 CSX 220 and I was changing out the old style speaker grills to the new sport grills and two of the Allen screw heads broke off. Any idea on the best way to get them out and where to get replacement screws? I've been told to drill them out? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
U R Stainless screwed
any of the post exposed after removing the speaker?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
One of the bolts in my alternator bracket broke last season. I bought a set of left handed drill bits and screw extractors from o'reilly auto parts for $30 or so and used it to remove the headless stuck bolt.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Never used these, but looks pretty straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_dt View Post
I have a 2007 CSX 220 and I was changing out the old style speaker grills to the new sport grills and two of the Allen screw heads broke off. Any idea on the best way to get them out and where to get replacement screws? I've been told to drill them out? Thanks in advance.
Can you remove the speaker from the speaker can? You can see if any of the bolts are visible from the back side of the lip in the speaker can. If you have enough bolt exposed you could try and get a hold of it with pliers or vise grips and turn the bolt until it comes all the way through the back side of the lip.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
its pretty straight forward if you've got the right tools.

you'll need a drill w/ bit smaller than the diameter of the bolt (obviously) and an extractor. should be pretty cheap from any auto or hardware store.

you'll probably want to have a tap handy also to make sure you didnt crush the threads.

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
EVrybody on here pretty much named off the options:

1) if enough threads are sticking out...grab it sideways with a pair of vise grips locked down as tight as you can get

2) If not quite enough threads are sticking out to grab with vise grips, but some are showing, you can file or saw a slit into the broken off bolt to make it like a screw that you can use a flat head screwdriver on

3) if it is broken off flush or worse, only option is to drill the broken off bolt and get it out with an easy out.

For any of these options, soak the bolt in PB Blaster first. Tapping on the bolt while it is soaked will get the lube to penetrate a bit more. Although probaly not a good idea on speaker can for cosmetic reasons, in other instances heat is your friend if the bolt is really sezied, but be careful on areas that are visullay noticeable or that are flammable

-Jason
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Crest 22 Le
Thanks for all the advice. I've been tied up at work so just saw this. I've been trying to find an easy out that small and replacement screws. No luck yet. Thanks again
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
If any of the threaded portion of the screw is out past the pod, cut a slot in it and use a screw driver. You will probably want to soak the threads good ahead of time with some PB. The likely cause is the stainless steel screw in aluminum. Take you time with it. if it comes out a little then stops, hit the threads again with some PB and thread it back in and let it soak then try again later. It may take some time, bit its better then drilling out.