Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
New Head Unit ?

Need to replace the entire stereo in the project 190.

I want to start with one of the Clarion CMD head units. I think it will fit better in the space where the old stereo was and had a plastic housing to tighten up the gap in the opening. That did not look good at all.

Sodar had mentioned he is running the 6 and I saw some others with either an 8 series or a 3 series.

What are the main differences if I go up or down in the series number?

I want to add an amp and subs at a later date but now I just want to be able to plug in the ipod and listen to music through the 4 basic speaker setup.

What does everyone have and what recommendations (good or bad) do you have?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
What year is your 190? Is the radio opening out on the face of the dash?

If you look at my link below. You will see I just upgraded my 190 sportstar head unit yesterday from an Alpine non marine to a Clarion M303. If your opening is similar to mine.... The clarion CMD head units will not work here, I attempted to install a CMD6 last summer. It fit in the DIN size opening, but the faceplate and knobs stick out too far, you will not be able to open your observer seat all the way without smashing the knobs.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...693#post925693
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I did an Alpine 9886m and I'm extremely happy with it. But it also matches my suburban's 9887 and my blazer's 9887 so easy to go back and forth....
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonwa View Post
What year is your 190? Is the radio opening out on the face of the dash?

If you look at my link below. You will see I just upgraded my 190 sportstar head unit yesterday from an Alpine non marine to a Clarion M303. If your opening is similar to mine.... The clarion CMD head units will not work here, I attempted to install a CMD6 last summer. It fit in the DIN size opening, but the faceplate and knobs stick out too far, you will not be able to open your observer seat all the way without smashing the knobs.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...693#post925693
Ours is a 94 which has the sereo location at the driver's left knee.

I will check out your link.

Thanks!

RM
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
I did an Alpine 9886m and I'm extremely happy with it. But it also matches my suburban's 9887 and my blazer's 9887 so easy to go back and forth....
Thanks Jeff. I think I want to stick with the fat Clarion to fill the space instead of using one of those pastics encasements...

I will check the alpine out though as well.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
On my last two boats, I have used ipod compatible JVC automotive head units. The interface is pretty straight forward, they have 6 channels rca outs on the back, and can be had for not a lot of money. I'd find a good automotive unit and save your money for speakers, a sub, and a good amp.

On ours, most of the time, we just rip a ton of music to a CD and leave it in the deck. When I forget the iPod, I have music on a medium where I don't care if it gets wet or dropped in the lake.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.