Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
88 TriStar clean, needs motor, W/pics

Picked up this Tristar over the weekend, very nice unmolested boat. PO had the boat ten years after purchasing from the original owner. PO said motor ingested water at the end of 2011 and has been sitting since. He removed the plugs, got the water out, & soaked the cylinders w/ oil etc. I have the motor out but have not torn it down yet. It appears that all starboard cylinders got water. I split the manifold and riser and it looked fine, they're only two years old. Not sure about a head gasket cause wouldn't that trash just two adjoinig cylinders? PO had the intake off in 2011 to replace a noisy lifter, he thinks the intake bolts weren't tight enough and thats how the water got in there? Not so sure about that one. Anything I should look for as I tear down the motor? Thanks
Name:  tri1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  tri2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  tri3.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  tri4.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  tri5.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  81.9 KB
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
I've got an almost identical '88 Tristar, dark blue version, 620 hours or so. You're interior looks to be in great shape. My motor has been very durable, although I did have one of the heads develop a leak at #8. I've since replaced heads with GT-40's. I still have both of the old heads, one of which is still in great condition. If you find that you just need one head, it's yours for the cost of shipping.
The horiz. stripe at the water line isn't original (least I've never seen one that way).
The trailer looks identical to mine (built by SMP). As evident by your pictures, the carpet wrapped plywood on the steps and front is causing you some rust issues, I've removed mine and welded in some new metal at the rear step.
Not sure that I can offer a diagnosis on the point of origin of the engine water. Any engine pics?
Sweet ride though, we enjoy ours. I think you will too.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
If you need a reman long block
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...view/make/ford

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE