Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Good to see this thread, because I need to change mine out. I have the 07 style with the M/C disc in the middle, but it blew off as well as one of the internal baffles. I now have the type with the flap to replace them.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Ok I installed my new tips bought here from a member selling a few pairs.

The tips were for a V drive so I had to cut off the up pipe and make them fit a DD. It worked perfect and I now have to wait 7 days for the 5200 to cure.

I cut the pipes as mentioned above. Made a reducer, cut the transom to fit the larger pipes, put 5200 in the original screw holes and a bunch around the tip and flange where it goes through the hull. Everything went very very smoothly.

I love them
Looks awesome Kyle!! You know your going to get a call when my pair shows up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
I almost bought those to try on mine! Now I know I should have! Looks awesome

Tapatalk
Sorry clrussel, they're showing up on my door step any day now!! Yippie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
The old '93 factory plastic jobbers were siliconed in with clear regular ole silicon. I thought it was really half ars but then I thought 20 years without leaking......

I took a putty knife and slid it under the edge of the old flange and it came right off without struggle. I was very much thinking it would be a pita but it was not.

Now on the 5200 marine adhesive used now days. Yes you will have a beat down deluxe removing that from anything it touches. I seriously never want to remove the MCOCD 5200 job that I did. I can see it being extremely hard to separate.

Sound wise...... I don't know. I run straight pipes and there is a slight baffle in these tips to act more as a flapper not a muffler. It was loud as I'm running open exhaust but not louder. It was lower toned but sounded the same. I'm guessing the tone was because I went from 3" to 3.5" exhaust.

Hey Bturner. I know someone "RAT" who will beat you down with severe MCOCD to just have 1 of your tips. Mitch has 1 left and he's looking for an extra to complete a pair.
Kyle, so you used the 5200 adhesive to mount the new tips? Your not planning to screw them in?

Also, how much glass did you have to cut to get them in? What did you use? Any issues?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Looks awesome Kyle!! You know your going to get a call when my pair shows up!!

Kyle, so you used the 5200 adhesive to mount the new tips? Your not planning to screw them in?

Also, how much glass did you have to cut to get them in? What did you use? Any issues?
Yes I used 5200 blue and screws.

Here is what I did.

Cut the angled V drive section off.

The non cut part of the trash section, put it on a piece. Of thick paper and trace out the circle of the 3.5" pipe. Then slide it on the tip. Trace the flange. Cut that out.

Then put it up to the existing hole. I used the outer and lower edge of the factory hole.

You will see what I'm talking about. The speedo bracket for the rubber hose is in the way so you have to center the tips slightly.

Then take a sharpie and make a center hole guide to cut along on both sides. Measure 2x and cut it out with a jig saw.

Then I used a drill with a sanding disc to make the hole slightly bigger to fit the tip. It also makes the hole perfectly round this way. I'll take a pic of the drill disc. You can pick them up at "lowes" or auto zone. I'll take a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

You are not cutting that much of the boat.

Lastly run the 1/2" drill bit in reverse to countersink the 3 holes. Then take a smaller bit to drill out the new holes. I used the same screws that came off old set up.

I put 5200 in the old holes and smoothed out with a putty knife. Ran a big fat bead around the flange and the pipe that runs through hull. Put a dab in the 3 new holes and put it together.

Very easy and smooth.

It took me a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190

I'm sure y'all will get better use of em anyway! I can dream though

Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM
MC Maniac

Looky what I found in my garage when I walked out from lunch... I didn't realize the MC plate was not a flapper, but a welded solid baffle plate. That should not fall off.

Wish I had a few hours in the next few days to make it happen.

Where did you buy the 5200? Any other option worth considering to save on the 7 days?

Attached Images

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Looky what I found in my garage when I walked out from lunch... I didn't realize the MC plate was not a flapper, but a welded solid baffle plate. That should not fall off.

Where did you buy the 5200? Any other option worth considering to save on the 7 days?

Home Depot carries 5200.

Even though Kyle is going to jump my butt, I would not use 5200 for anything on my boat. 4200 is more than enough and regular ole' silicone will work fine as well. 5200 is way too permanent for these exhaust tips, considering the center "cover" is notorious for falling off. I've replaced mine twice in 5 years.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:

You can get the blue 5200 at Home Depot or "lowes" in the painting section. A small tube will work. It come I'd caulk gun tube or a smaller squeeze tube.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Home Depot carries 5200.

Even though Kyle is going to jump my butt, I would not use 5200 for anything on my boat. 4200 is more than enough and regular ole' silicone will work fine as well. 5200 is way too permanent for these exhaust tips, considering the center "cover" is notorious for falling off. I've replaced mine twice in 5 years.
Your scaring me man. Maybe I should have used 4200

Either will work.

Should I remove them today and put 4200 on instead while I can get them off????

Seriously scared now

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Home Depot carries 5200.

Sodar, how does the center cover come off? Is the chrome MC just attached to a plate that is welded to the main pipe on three posts. Sorry, I only did a 30 second inspection and I'm back at work now.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I've never taken a pick of mine, but here is one. The welds just break.