Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
Not hating on you....but I love hearing people use this type of line when talking about the use of safety equipment! You know what else is cumbersome and distracting...wheelchairs, canes and feeding tubes!

All kidding aside, protect your melons! You only get one and any damage received to it can be severely life altering.

Another thing to remember is that the helmet does not end all head injuries...but it can stop further trauma to the skull (i.e. skull fractures, etc.). So, for those who make the comment that wearing a helmet gives them more confidence to do more or go higher, remember that a brain injury often results from the brain sloshing around inside that hard case (skull). The helmet can not protect against that. My son ended his snowboarding season early this year due to a concussion...he always has a helmet on.

If you don't have one...go get one. To me, the helmets look pretty cool now so there should be no shame in wearing one!
Well said. Hope your son recovers well from the concussion.

My daughter got a concussion while wakeboarding without a helmet. "No Helmet = No Wakeboarding (nor wakeskating)" became the rule. Like you, helmets for snow sports (and bikes, skateboards) were always the rule.

Oh, don't forget the chin strap - they are there for a reason. I can't count the number of times I had this discussion with my son over the years. A boy in our boy scout troop was on a bike and got hit by a car. He had a helmet on but the chin strap was not clasped. Helmet came off and that boy now has permanent brain damage resulting in leaning difficulties.