Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 X-15
Matt - Thanks for the information. At least your serial number gives us a reference. I wouldn't trust the manual as JL has not even changed the spec on their website. Hopefully they will pull through with the serial number info so everyone can verify.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 04 mastercraft xstar
What's the date of manufacture mattscraft?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I run a 600.4 for the tower on 4 JL 6.5's and I think they are clear as a bell at 70' I think a 750.1 would be Vetter suited for a subwoofer than your tower.

Not saying you didn't but never buy anything JL unless its from a dealer. 50% fake and 50% crap. Waste of money.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Response straight from JL. May be we are okay.

See the below email response i received from JL on this. If it is true then we are all okay running tower speakers with the 750.1, especially if it is not a 2 ohm load. Again, i will hopefully have the amp installed by the weekend to give everyone my take on the difference in sound between a 600.4 and the revised 750.1.

-jason

"Hi Jason. We are now calling the amp wide range. Even though our lit calls it 8khz i will give you some inside information. I saw the technical sheet on the amp and the roll happens at 10khz not 8khz and the roll off happens at a rate of 1db per octave. I will highly doubt any one can pick that up. Also that only happens at a 2 ohm load."

Last edited by jigster; 04-08-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Horrible typing :)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks Jason. I just received the same response. JL also confirmed that if the manual says full range then the amp should be just that. They are still working with manufacturing to provide a serial number or date of manufacture for reference.

David - what are your thoughts on this response?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treiter View Post
Thanks Jason. I just received the same response. JL also confirmed that if the manual says full range then the amp should be just that. They are still working with manufacturing to provide a serial number or date of manufacture for reference.

David - what are your thoughts on this response?
I don't have a problem with it on any amplifier that is linear to 12 kHz.
An HLCD is all about lots of energy between 4 kHz and 8 kHz in order to reach wake range. If the speaker is just a touch dominant at 8 kHz for example then you could not perceive a roll-off at 12 kHz because the dominant frequency dominates your perception. It's just the way the human auditory system works.
The inordinately larger diaphragm of an HLCD tweeter combined with the compression chamber doesn't go very high anyway as compared to a conventional dome tweeter.
There is no way you can hear a 1 dB decline in any situation.
There is no way you can hear 12 kHz and above in an open field environment. Forget about 12 Khz completely if you have the slightest bit of ambient noise or wind.
The absorbtion rate at higher frequencies as transmitted over distance is extremely high as compared to the middle bandwidth.
Natural musical fundamentals only extend up to 4 to 4.5 kHz. Everything above that is harmonics.
If you listen to lots of loud music forget about 15 Khz with headphones, let alone tower speakers.

David
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
TT Newbie

Thank You David.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Well, after listening to the HD1200/1 as a fullrange amplifer there is an audible difference on the highs in a perfectly quiet inside showroom. So this amplifier is not recommended for a tower speaker application.
After listening to and measuring the revised version of the HD750/1, it has far more bandwidth than its overly conservative spec. Even though the bandwidth has been changed a bit, there is absolutely no difference to be heard on a tower speaker, even with a 2-ohm load. So proceed with the HD or MHD750/1 as a fullrange tower speaker amplifier regardless of the version you have.

David
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Well, after listening to the HD1200/1 as a fullrange amplifer there is an audible difference on the highs in a perfectly quiet inside showroom. So this amplifier is not recommended for a tower speaker application.
After listening to and measuring the revised version of the HD750/1, it has far more bandwidth than its overly conservative spec. Even though the bandwidth has been changed a bit, there is absolutely no difference to be heard on a tower speaker, even with a 2-ohm load. So proceed with the HD or MHD750/1 as a fullrange tower speaker amplifier regardless of the version you have.

David
Awesome David! Thanks for the real world professional comp! Didnt realize the 1200 was even more limited. Nice to hear that im okay with the 750.

BTW...thanks for the referal to Odin. Saved me a decent amount vs ordering direct thru WS.

Thanks again - jason
Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
TT Newbie

Thank You for the update David. It is really appreciated that you took the time to test this. This is why this forum is so great - lots of sharing.