Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 mastercraft x30
swatguy,

when you say a three bank system do you mean that i should use one battery for starting and two for the stereo, or are you saying that i should use three batteries for the stereo alone and one for starting?

jafo9,

i think you are correct with the quick disconnect idea. if i ran the wires up the rear bar then they would have to come out and be exposed in two spots. i think that it would still be easier to wire the tower from the rear bar instead of having to use a vacuum or magnet. what do you think about this?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
If the goal is to be BIG in the cove for more than 2-3 hrs, 4 31 series batteries in your stereo bank minimum, PLUS a start battery. Those bigger 10s and 12s will consume substantially more power than someone bragging how long they can rock with some 6.5's (of course you will dominate their sound) Big surface area requires big power to move it.
Example - My RF 1500bd1 first powered 4 10 kicker cvr's, then I stepped up to 2 15" L7s. The 15s move WAY more air, louder of course, but my batteries draw down much quicker. BTW, I run 2 optima blue 34 and 3 kinetic 2400s backed up by a genny and power supply. I have the experience and been though the learning curve, just trying to give you a heads up.

4 31 series deep cycle or 2 4D deep cycle (check out Interstate). The 4D will last longer due to the general characteristics of a single larger battery out performing several smaller of the same total rating. Don't believe me, check out Earmarks x80 install where they used 4 6v golf cart batteries (also and option). Btw, Kinetiks are sweet but Expensive. I got all 3 for $400; installed less than a month, from a guy going away to jail; opportunity
Make sure you have a 30+ amp charger and plug in every night.

It never fails, you get 3+ hrs in, party is rock'n and voltage is dropping. Buzzkill. Then douche mode sets in and you start the motor to charge the batteries. Motor creates noise so the music is not as loud, carbon monoxide danger, at idle alternator does not put out more than 30-40amps so you will end up burning up the alternator. Idling for 1-2 more hours burn a CRAP LOAD of gas that at $4/gal you could have put into more batteries. I have burned $50 easy in gas keeping the afternoon party going before.

$6k is already spent on equipment why cheap out on another couple hundred that will let you continue to enjoy the system and boat? (not to mention, the less often batteries are depleted, the longer they will last)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM
TT Newbie

so i ended up taking the blue top back and getting two worldwide deep cycle batteries that are massive. I thought the blue top was overpriced for what it is. I got the new batteries from my local Nautique dealership and they said that i should need two or three of those. i will start out with two for now and if needed, then i will purchase a third one. Also, i went out and bought a battery tender for the stereo batteries as was recommended by a few people on this forum and by the guys at the Nautique dealership. I have also decided to buy some weatherproof quick disconnectors for wiring the tower speakers through the rear tower bar. I think this way the tower speaker install will be easier. I appreciate all the help you have given me and any more advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by racrowe; 04-10-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrowe View Post

i think you are correct with the quick disconnect idea. if i ran the wires up the rear bar then they would have to come out and be exposed in two spots. i think that it would still be easier to wire the tower from the rear bar instead of having to use a vacuum or magnet. what do you think about this?
rear bar would be much easier to fish. just have to add the waterproof connectors. i've been wiring my houses for years and have collected several different tools to fish walls, ceilings, etc. the tool i found most useful for the tower was a cheap POS round plastic fish tape from harbor freight. probably cost 2 bucks. all of my "real" fish tools were too big for the holes i had drilled.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Dont forget to try a shop vac and string uf the tape doesnt work. I dismissed it at first but after trying to fish around a 90 degree bend for iver an hour, i decided to give the string and vac method a try. I didnt think it would work, so wasnt expecting much. To my surprise it took me longer to get the string and vac than it did to get it thru the tower. I have the 6.5hp version, not sure if the results are different on smaller/larger versions.

-jason
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 PM
TT Newbie

jigster,

i am definitely going to try that.

does anyone have any ideas on where to mount the equalizer in the boat? i was going to put it below the throttle but the fuses for the ballast switches are located there already and i don't think it is a good idea to cover those up.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM
TT Newbie

Where should I ground the amplifiers? I was thinking either the negative battery post because if I am correct, it is grounded to the engine block. I was also thinking of grounding it directly to the engine block but it would require more wire that is expensive. Will I get noise if I go to negative battery post?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Mine are all direct to battery with no noise.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM
TT Newbie

Jigster,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with wiring the ground to the negative battery post.

I just got my speakers amps and equalizer yesterday. Mounted the amp for the in boat speakers and then ran the wiring and hooked up in boat coaxials. I am planning on running the tower speakers sometime early next week along with installing the amp to power them. I am still waiting on my subwoofer(12 inch alpine type r) and when I get that in I will install it. Hopefully sometime next week also. I will post pictures on here when I get the system all wired and put In. I appreciate all the help that everyone has provided. Lots of great advice!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 AM
TT Newbie

Still trying to come up with ideas on how to mount the equalizer. I might make a mounting plate for it, but I am wondering if I could mount it any other place that would be easier?

Tags
audio, speakers, stereo, tower wiring, wetsounds