Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Sky Ski Pro

I have an opportunity to purchase a Sky Ski Pro that is about 10 years old and in really good shape. It is owned by a 69 yr old man who never really uses it anymore as he has sold his boat and his family has no interest. I have been looking on and off for a few years for one, but wanted to get someone else's opinion before I bite the bullet. Judging from the pics, it is in very good shape and needs nothing according to the owner. He replaced the binding straps with Velcro straps as the original straps were too hard for him to put on in deep water. That is the only modification that he has done to it though. Is $850 shipped a fair price or should I just keep looking?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I have the same one, purchased 4 years ago for $650 plus shipping so around $690 total.
My seat tower needed to be repainted which I did.
You may want to get these 2 items from Cinchmax for safety. You don't want to come out of the belt or have your feet come out either.

Name:  2010CINCHMax22.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  FootStaysNew1.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  80.9 KB

Looks like a nice ski.....I'd say offer $750 shipped.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
MC Devotee

Jersey, where did you find your ski? Unfortunately the offer has been made, so $850 it is. I did find an identical one in CA and the guy was asking $650 for it, but it sold before I could get to it.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
That's a fine ski for you to learn on and will allow you to progress a long way in the sport. I would recommend installing better heel straps/bindings, seat belt and polishing the foil. If you really get addicted, and you probably will, you'll want to upgrade to a set-up with a billet foil instead of the cast foil. Get over on foilforum.com and join the addiction.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Jersey, where did you find your ski? Unfortunately the offer has been made, so $850 it is. I did find an identical one in CA and the guy was asking $650 for it, but it sold before I could get to it.
Got mine from a couple in the midwest 4 years ago. I don't think $850 shipped is a bad deal at all. As skyskiguy says get on foilforum....those guys know their stuff. Sometimes there are used ones for sale on there too.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

I am now on the foilfoum. Thanks for the advice. It is very much like the MC site, only about foils. I am sending the check in the mail today, so I should have the ski in a couple weeks or so. Hopefully I can get it by the 27th, bc that is when I am going back to the lake again and I do plan to get in this time, as it was 85 deg here yesterday so hopefully that will give the water a chance to warm up a little.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
MC Devotee

Well, my ski comes in on Tuesday. I did, however, get the chance to try one out someone else's modified ski. The water was 68 degrees and the air temp was a windy 73 degrees. I was wearing a full wet suit and was plenty warm. If it was not so windy, I would have been fine with my shorty wet suit. At any rate, I think I did pretty well for my second time in five years. I was able to get up and cut back and forth a little, all with about 10-15 mph winds. While my ride was nothing impressive, I am ready to get on my ski and start learning more. One thing I was glad I got to try out, was the Cinch belt and ankle straps. I will be upgrading mine to this, so thanks JerseyDave for the suggestion. I just recently bought the ballast bags for the wakeboarding, and now I am not sure how much I will even get the ole wakeboard out.

The guy that brought his board was pretty good, doing wake rolls and gainers and just sailing pretty high and far. He was also a good teacher and was part of the reason I was able to progress as much as I did today. This is a fun toy and I can't wait to see how much I will progress by the end of the summer.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
TT Hero

Good to hear! Foiling is a lot of fun. It has not replaced wakeboarding 100% for me, but at 50 it will pretty soon! Have fun!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Again, welcome to the addiction!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM
MC Devotee

I ordered and installed the Cinch belt and foot stays. Wow, what a big difference! It was my first time riding my ski with the additions last weekend and only my second time overall. I just have to figure this whole thing out as far as learning control of the board at different ride heights. I also spent quite a bit of time polishing the tbar and wings. I noticed some smaller scratches in the tbar and I sanded on it with 600 and 800 grit but because it is a cast foil, I noticed that it tends to have little pits in random spots the more I sand. I eventually stopped and polished it back up. This weekend will really be the first time I will be able to take it out for more than one set, so I am looking forward to it.