Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft xstar 1999 33hp ltr
No Power to Fuel Pump. HELP NEEDED!

Hi everyone. This is my first post although I have lurked in these threads for many years. I have a 1999 Mastercraft Xstar with 330hp LTR.

I recently took my boat out of storage and when I went to launch it would turn over but not start.
Checked the safety Lanyard.
I initially figured fuel pump and hooked to a pressure test and read 0.
Swapped out the old Fuel pump Fuse for new one.
I tested for power at the fuel pump and found none.
I tested for power at the relay and found no power on pin 30.
Tested for Spark and there IS spark.
I have 12v at the battery and grounds are clean.
I pulled the Ignition Control Module and cleaned and tested ignition coils.
I do not register any Voltage coming from the purple/white wire going to the ECM.

I'm really stumped here and am worried that the ECM is the culprit. I replaced the ECM about 7years ago and am trying to exhaust every possibility before I go down that road again.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainishida View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post although I have lurked in these threads for many years. I have a 1999 Mastercraft Xstar with 330hp LTR.

I recently took my boat out of storage and when I went to launch it would turn over but not start.
Checked the safety Lanyard.
I initially figured fuel pump and hooked to a pressure test and read 0.
Swapped out the old Fuel pump Fuse for new one.
I tested for power at the fuel pump and found none.
I tested for power at the relay and found no power on pin 30.
Tested for Spark and there IS spark.
I have 12v at the battery and grounds are clean.
I pulled the Ignition Control Module and cleaned and tested ignition coils.
I do not register any Voltage coming from the purple/white wire going to the ECM.

I'm really stumped here and am worried that the ECM is the culprit. I replaced the ECM about 7years ago and am trying to exhaust every possibility before I go down that road again.

Thanks in advance.
If you really don't have 12v on purple wire then it sounds like something went south, for diagnosis apply another 12v source on the purple wire at pin 30 of fuel pump relay and see if she comes to life you might just need to find another ignition wire to rewire but the fuel pump might run constantly with key on engine off. there are ways around the ecm for fuel pump operation, do you have 12v on pin 86 if so you could splice pin 30 wire to pin 86 wire and everything "should" work, you could rewire the circuit and use a fuel pump safety switch.

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-07-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do not have 12v on pin 86 either when cycling the key or turning the engine over.

I will try a separate 12v source on the purple wire and see if I can rule that out.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do not have 12v on pin 86 either when cycling the key or turning the engine over.

I will try a separate 12v source on the purple wire and see if I can rule that out.
Makes since, pin 30 (pink)and pin 86 (pink) both get v at the fuel pump relay from the same pin 87 (purple) of MEFI relay.

The ecm does not supply 12v for FP relay, the ecm supply's a ground to the fp relay pin 85 (dark green/ white)

Basically the ecm pin 32 (pink ignition feed) and fuel pump relay pin 30 (pink) and pin 86 (pink) are powered up from the MEFI relay pin 87 (purple) and if you don't have v on the purple wire pin 87 of MEFI relay which then goes through the 2 fuses (fuel pump relay fuse and inj/ecm fuse) then wires changes color to pink you possibly have a bad MEFI relay.
I would check pin 30 (red) on MEFI relay for constant batt v and pin 86 (purple) for batt v (switched 12v) If neither pin 30 or pin 86 of MEFI relay has no v then you have a source voltage issue (wiring issue or ignition switch issue) If both powers are good then you could have a faulty ground on MEFI relay pin 85 (black). If the powers and ground are good on the MEFI relay then you have a bad MEFI relay (the coil inside is not switching over contacts), either way the fuel pump relay won't ever get powered up.

Are you sure you are on the FP relay and not the MEFI relay, just a thought.
It's odd that you said the boat has spark but your not getting any v to the FP relay,b/c if it's sparking that ultimately rules out the MEFI relay as being faulty, If this is the case then I suspect a wiring issue after the MEFI relay.

I've attached a wd for the system.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf wd.pdf (126.0 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-06-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:55 PM
TT Newbie

I appreciate your help.

I ran voltage on the Mefi relay and had 12v on both pin 30 and pin 86.
I swapped the Mefi and the Fuel pump Relay with no success.

Tomorrow I can take a look at the Mefi ground. What is the proper way to test this?

Last edited by kainishida; 04-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:00 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I appreciate your help.

I ran voltage on the Mefi relay and had 12v constant and switched. I swapped the Mefi and the Fuel pump Relay with no success.
If it's not the mefi relay ground, it sounds like you need to disconnect battery and component connections and do resistance check of wires from mefi to fuel pump relay and ecm to look for an open circuit.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-06-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I appreciate your help.

I ran voltage on the Mefi relay and had 12v on both pin 30 and pin 86.
I swapped the Mefi and the Fuel pump Relay with no success.

Tomorrow I can take a look at the Mefi ground. What is the proper way to test this?
Mefi ground, you can back probe the connector, using a dvom set on ohms, one lead on connecter the other lead on a known good ground, perferably on the main engine ground if good it should read ~.1 ohm if you got nothing or infiniti the ground is open. Or you can just run a jumper wire from engine ground to the mefi ground pin 85, this would ensure a good ground.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
TT Newbie

Well I was able to dig around today and here is what I found.

I went through and checked for bad ground and found none. I then checked for broken wires and found none. I used the dvom like you said and it was quick and easy.

After failing to find a broken wire or bad ground I began exploring the idea of hot wiring the fuel pump around the ECM. I connected the FP and turned the engine over thinking it should start, however, it did not. I double checked my connections to ensure that had I replaced everything I had taken apart. Seeing that everything was intact I decided I'd swap the relays. The engine immediately came to life.

I went to the local parts store and purchased a new relay. I replaced the old relay and discontinued the "hot wire". I turned the engine over and it fired right up.

So problem solved bad relay, however, I am still stumped that I didn't have constant power to the relay when I had originally checked. I didn't have time to check to see if there was constant power after replacing the relay, but I will tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. It was much appreciated.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 PM
MC Maniac

Glad it worked out.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I keep hearing about bad relays and was thinking of picking one up just to have as a spare. Anyone got a part number for it?