Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 205 Prostar LT1
Ballast help 96 205 prostar

Hey looking at getting ballast for my newly acquired 96 205. After taking measurements and getting advice from wakemakers I was looking at getting the fly high jumbo v drive surf sac (1100#) to put in the rear seat area and the fly high center locker rear seat sac (580#) turned on its side for the walkthrough with an elevate turbo ballast pump.

My idea is to keep floor space free and seats free as well. Also would like to keep bags away from my amp in the storage under the observer seat. I don't think I will be filling the rear sac to max capacity to start as my skill level isn't high enough. I was thinking about 800 pounds in the rear 580 in the front to put me at 1380 pounds. Plus at least 2 people in the boat, usually more.

Long term I also want to get about 300 pounds in lead/weight plates, just been searching craigslist to get them at the right time. (Recommendation from a friend for shaping the wake without moving people or bags)

Anything I am missing? Any suggestions? Any advice would be much appreciated. This is my first time weighting a boat and want to get it right.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Have you considered the FlyHigh integrated bow sac? I cant fill mine completely but i'd guess i can get 350-400 pounds in it and its under the seats. In my 205 my normal wakeboarding ballast is the integrated bow sac, and another bag stuffed in the ski locker in the walkway floor, then in the rear, 200 lbs of tractor weights and a 750 pound bag. This works nice and its all hidden and keeps the seats free. Not sure if a 96 has the same storage areas as my 99 though, I think my rear locker might be a bit bigger and not sure if you have the ski locker in the floor. You could always pull out the rear seat and use your sacs as seats. Thats what we do when we surf. Not pretty but it works.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM
TT Regular

What did you pay for your tractor weights? The 96 doesn't have a ski locker in the walkthrough it has a small space called the cooler. I also don't have a rear locker but I will be either putting my seat in the sundeck position or ditching it all together when the rear sack is filled.

Thank you for your response. Any pics of your wake?

I actually got my first set in behind the boat today (air 55 water 45 degrees) and I already love the wake unweighted compared to my i/o. Can't wait to see it with some weight.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybalty View Post
What did you pay for your tractor weights? The 96 doesn't have a ski locker in the walkthrough it has a small space called the cooler. I also don't have a rear locker but I will be either putting my seat in the sundeck position or ditching it all together when the rear sack is filled.

I actually got my first set in behind the boat today (air 55 water 45 degrees) and I already love the wake unweighted compared to my i/o. Can't wait to see it with some weight.
I thought that the 96 did have the rear locker. That is one thing I like about it over my 94. I have wondered how much weight you could put in there though. 1300lbs should throw a pretty nice wake in that boat too.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
TT Regular

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52127

If you look in this thread you will see a picture of a 96 rear seat. The padded portion above is simply that, no storage underneath. I wish it was storage, but putting the seat in the sundeck position is still nice (that would still be possible if there were storage)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
Have you considered the FlyHigh integrated bow sac? I cant fill mine completely but i'd guess i can get 350-400 pounds in it and its under the seats. In my 205 my normal wakeboarding ballast is the integrated bow sac, and another bag stuffed in the ski locker in the walkway floor, then in the rear, 200 lbs of tractor weights and a 750 pound bag. This works nice and its all hidden and keeps the seats free. Not sure if a 96 has the same storage areas as my 99 though, I think my rear locker might be a bit bigger and not sure if you have the ski locker in the floor. You could always pull out the rear seat and use your sacs as seats. Thats what we do when we surf. Not pretty but it works.
+1. I'd do the 1100 + 580 that you mentioned, plus the bow sac or some lead up front. Don't neglect the weight in the bow. I have 2600lbs ballast in my '99 205v (1100 up front, 1500 in the rear), and I wouldn't part with any of it, although the actual weight is probably only about 2400 since not every sac fills completely. Mine is a slightly different beast since its a v-drive, but our hulls are similar, if not the same. If I added more weight to mine (which I might do this season), it would be up front. I usually just get some people to sit up there.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
I don't have any pics of the wake but its definitely big enough for the level of riding me and most of my friends do. I didnt pay for the weights, they were off one of our tractors on our farm, but i know they can be found cheap. The weights will seem redneck to some people but they are 100 lbs each, lay flat so they don't take up much space, and have a carry handle built into them. I'm only using 2 of them since i bought fatsacs but it was sure nice not filling bags back when i used more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybalty View Post

Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
TT Regular

After talking to you guys and Spencer at Wakemakers I am going to pull the trigger on the two bags from my original post. The guys at wakemakers are really helpful, they let me ask all my stupid questions and answered them in stride. I know they already come highly recommended via this site, but I want to reinforce that recommendation. Definitely the right company to deal with.