Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Covi, did they do any valving changes? or change up the weight of oil? or merely replace seals and replace oil (at a lower level)?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
No valving change, not sure about oil weight. Oil was original to the bike before and not sure what they used for new? I believe it was just the seals and replace oil at a lower level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
Covi, did they do any valving changes? or change up the weight of oil? or merely replace seals and replace oil (at a lower level)?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
(Curious if any others have done this. I'm not a bike guy (long story about a friend getting hit). Last I helped a friend make up a ski rack for his bike. Anybody else done this, if so are there pics?
Here's a review for the ultimate mx hauler.

They cost more than most other bike carriers, but for a dirt bike it's really nice and simple. You can do it yourself, and you aren't strapping your forks down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covi View Post
Hahaha. I have about 5000 miles on it. I treat it well, just like the boat.

ready to ride.

New mobil 1 synthetic
new plug
new battery
waxed and polished (i know it's a dirt bike) still have real wheel to go
New tires in the garage ready to go on
new fork seals and fork oil
new grips
cleaned the K & N air filter
Wow, I'm impressed. Most people that have 500 miles on it will have already replaced graphics/plastic at least once, haha. I don't care what my dirt bikes look like cosmetically when riding because I know things will get scratched up. Your frame and clutch cover even show minimal wear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covi View Post
? for all the wrenches out there. Fork oil. My fork seals failed at the end of last season so I sent them out to Factory Connection to be repaired (outstanding service). During this process I was asked a battery of questions about me, where I ride, and riding style. They forks leave the factory with 130mm of fork oil. FC rebuilt the forks and returned them with 110mm of oil. I feel this is a huge difference oil oil level. Although we are measuring in mm. I lost 20mm of oil.

Does the loss oil oil affect my fork hight? I am under the impression that this will soften my suspension at the middle to bottom of the stroke? I have not yet had a chance to ride as the weather is cold and trails are still frozen. But, I feel messing around with it in the garage that if I grab a handful of front brake I push down on the bars I can almost get the fork to bottom out. Under power I feel like I will have no problem getting it to bottom out. Sure it feels softer but, like I said I have not really had a chance to test it on trials.

Any info would be great.
The fork oil height doesn't affect much of the first half of travel, so the height of the forks should stay the same. Removing oil will make the mid-stroke and beyond feel softer, like you mentioned.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the info. You got it right on the MX hauler. I love it. Not to mention the looks I get going down the road. I thought I had the fork info correct. And the bike is only clean beacuse it's been laid up for the winter. Once summer comes it's a muddy mess. Can't wait. Oh frame looks good because it's polished. Took all the dirt,scratches, and grime off if. I'd like to get rid of the stock clutch cover and start to pimp it out. Little things here and there to add a bit of bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Here's a review for the ultimate mx hauler.

They cost more than most other bike carriers, but for a dirt bike it's really nice and simple. You can do it yourself, and you aren't strapping your forks down.

Wow, I'm impressed. Most people that have 500 miles on it will have already replaced graphics/plastic at least once, haha. I don't care what my dirt bikes look like cosmetically when riding because I know things will get scratched up. Your frame and clutch cover even show minimal wear!

The fork oil height doesn't affect much of the first half of travel, so the height of the forks should stay the same. Removing oil will make the mid-stroke and beyond feel softer, like you mentioned.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I have owned a Suzuki DR 200 trail bike which was fun, but then got a Honda Magna, which was a little more fun and the last bike I had was a 2001 Yamaha FZ1, which was a lot of fun. I really miss that bike and wish I still had it, but I sold it bc I never had time to ride it anymore and I put that money into a boat. This time of year is when i am really missing having a bike.

After I got the Suzuki, that gave my dad the bug again, as he had not owned a bike since his college days. He bought a Honda Shadow Ace 750 off of eBay and quickly outgrew that and upgraded to a Kawasaki Nomad 1500. The Nomad was a great riding bike, but someone offered him more than he paid, so he sold it and got a Honda Valkyrie Interstate, which was just an awesome bike. He put over 40k miles on it and sold it to buy his pontoon boat. He and I had some great times on rides together and I am glad that we got to spend time together that way, but for now, we are both out of the motorcycle game.

I think if I get back into it though, I will strongly consider a Yamaha FJR 1300. I have ridden many bikes, including road star, Kawasaki ZRX 1200r, Boss Hoss, V-Max, CBR600, FJR as well as several others. All of them are fun in their own right, but I like a good mix of power and comfort, hence my choice of the FJR 1300.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx1 View Post
Just got back into to the saddle after years of not being on a bike. Purchased a new 2012 Yamaha VStar 950 to see if I would enjoy it. So far it is great and while I love the bike, already thinking about an upgrade next year to a Yamaha Styker or Triumph Thunderbird Storm.
I am quoting my own post (#747) as dumb me decided to move up to the Yamaha Stryker after only 2 months on the VStar. Here is the link to what I bought (great bike for the money):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAg&dur=1107
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Slick! Looks comfortable! Enjoy the riding.

Quote:
I am quoting my own post (#747) as dumb me decided to move up to the Yamaha Stryker after only 2 months on the VStar. Here is the link to what I bought (great bike for the money):

Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Friend of mine just picked up this 2011 KX500AF today.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
I have a Ktm 530exc Street legal dirt bike which is the best of both worlds!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:

My BIL just bought a stryker this past weekend, all blacked out, I guess I might have to keep my harley now that I have a riding buddy.
Attached Images

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 06-08-2013 at 09:57 AM.