Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft x45
I will upload pictures tomorrow. Below is my brief findings

First off I would say my seats had heavy dirt and grim build up.

3rd Babes seat soap- Best smelling, least aggressive of the three. Might be my everyday cleaner. Left the seats feeling the "smoothest". If your boat is new and are looking for an everyday cleaner buy Babe's. It smells the best and was pretty easy to whip off to a level of no residue. The down side is not enough horsepower to clean deep grim and dirt.

2nd 303 vinyl and fabric cleaner. At first this was my favourite. It worked the best on the white stitching. I found that I used less of the product compared to the other two. It also left the least residue (which may be a benefit to some). I found it worked well on the dash and other hard parts. Overall I was very pleased with this product and would buy this again. This product gave great results but needed more work then then the Vinyl Sauce

1st Vinyl Sauce- I would NOT say that this product blew away the 303 but in my experence it worked the best on spot removal and overall cleaning. I found the 303 did a better job on the white stitching but the vinyl sauce was the best overall.

So here is what I did to clean the boat

step 1- 303 cleaner with brush focusing on the stitching.
step 2- 303 cleaner with microfiber
step 3- Vinyl Sauce with brush.
step 4- Vinyl sauce with microfiber

Dressing

I found it hard to tell the difference between the 3. They all have benefits. All great products.

3rd- Lexol Vinlyex- This product gave the best natural feel. Almost no residue. I feel that this product would be the best at not attracting dust. I want to give this product another try. It might be a great product for steering wheels and dash boards.

2nd- Babes Seat Saver- Like the smell. Makes the seats feel the softest. A little bit to much residue but I was also running low on microfiber towels so I couldn't give it a good buff after. Overall if you want your boat to smell like a strip club buy Babe's products. If my boat was brand new and I was only doing light cleaning. Babes would be the one for me. Once I get the boat to the level I want I may very well switch to babes for everyday cleaning. I just love the smell reminds me of my other favourite place.......

1st 303 Areospace Protectant- To me it seamed to have a slight cleaning action. It really made the colours pop. At first I found it to greasy but after about 30 mins of drying time it looked great and left the seats soft to the touch. I buffed the seats again after about 45 mins of drying time and the seats looked awesome and felt even better.

I am going to order some Malco product and give it a try. There is no local Totally awesome distributor in my area.

Cant wait to keep cleaning.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Thanks for the feedback... i was always impressed with the 303 products

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Thanks a ton

I found the same results as your stated above with the cleaners. I chose the Vinyl sauce after years of the of the Babes and Exquisite (which I didn't mention because its no longer available, but it was by far my fav) once i tried it. It worked great for me and make wipedowns a cinch. I will agree for sure tho that the the 303 gets to the stitching a bit better, but I just prefered the cleaning power of the Vinyl sauce on the vinyl. I use the Totally Awesome when the threads really need a good scrub anyways.

The only thing I will add to the protectants that you have not experienced yet is that once the 303 gets wet for the first time, even after being buffed good, it does get slimy. That greasy feel will come back when water hits it. It eventually wears off, but the first couple times it can be slick. It also takes the longest to fully dry and set in of the ones you used. It does however give the best shine and showroom gloss look as you mentioned. It also gives the highest UV protection rate IIRC and keeps the shine the longest from my experience , but the slimy feel on the front end is the turn off for me and why I go with Boat Bling's Conditioning Sauce over the 303. I wouldn't say the Boat Bling Conditioning Sauce is any better or worse than the Babes Seat Saver. I think they perform and feel almost identical to the touch. I just do the Boat Bling Conditioning Sauce because I prefer the Vinyl Sauce over Babes Seat Soap as a daily cleaner/wipedown for vinyl and Boat Bling's Hot Sauce over the Babes Boat Bright for after outing wipedowns so one stop shopping is great..

Thanks again for the write up. Never thought of listing all my trials and tribulations. Good to know they match up pretty well with yours for sure

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 04-03-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ummm, as somebody who doesn't frequent strip clubs, could you clarify what "if you want your boat to smell like a strip club buy Babe's products" means???
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X-2
I have used 303 for the last 6 years and have had great luck with it. I have always debated on trying other products but found myself always just buying 303 every time. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft x45
Strip clubs (at least the talent in them) smell like vanilla and mixtures of random body sprays (raspberry, strawberries etc). So I have heard......

I was also thinking that different areas may have different cleaning demands. So different products may work 100% different by geographic area. IE City boats may need something that cleans soot or acid rain were a cottage boat in Northern Ontario may need something that is better at removing bugs or sap.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X45 7.4L
This is from the MasterCraft owner's manual.

Upholstery
While the vinyl is made to withstand the elements, it is important to care for vinyl by keeping it clean at all times. Many substances may stain the vinyl if left untreated over a period of time. Remember to remove any contaminant and clean vinyl immediately.
Regular washing with mild detergent (see attached information) and warm water or vinyl cleaners is sufficient to keep the cushion and vinyl coverings in good condition. Do not soak the cushion, and dry thoroughly after washing to prevent mildew accumulations when the boat is covered. Spray the cushions with a mildew repellent and prop them up in the boat when it is covered to take advantage of air circulation.

MasterCraft vinyl is made to withstand the effects of sun, heat, acid rain and soiling, under normal conditions, but this does not preclude the cleaning requirements. Please consult the following cleaning recommendations before cleaning your upholstery.

Certain household cleaners, powdered abrasives, steel wool, and industrial cleaners may cause damage and discoloration, and are not recommended for use. Dry cleaning fluids and lacquer solvents should not be used as they will remove the printed pattern and gloss. Waxes are not recommended, as many contain dyes and solvents that can permanently damage the vinylís protective coating.

In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi.
It is virtually impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere, which are more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain cleanses the air, with the result being that the micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl.
While the vinyl is treated to resist the growth of micro-organisms (meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the stain results from failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water.

This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi (mold and mildew) thrive.

Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery may cause your warranty to be voided!

The cleaning table presented in this section is offered only as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We do not guarantee that the cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by warranty.

All of the products listed as recommended are especially good for routine care. Subsequent to publication we have been advised that 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner(TM) is, followed up by 303 High Tech Fabric Guard(TM), highly recommended as a result of testing by the upholstery manufacturer.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
I am curious if that's for the new vinyl or any vinyl that mastercraft has used.

What year owners manual is that from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012X45 View Post
This is from the MasterCraft owner's manual.

Upholstery
While the vinyl is made to withstand the elements, it is important to care for vinyl by keeping it clean at all times. Many substances may stain the vinyl if left untreated over a period of time. Remember to remove any contaminant and clean vinyl immediately.
Regular washing with mild detergent (see attached information) and warm water or vinyl cleaners is sufficient to keep the cushion and vinyl coverings in good condition. Do not soak the cushion, and dry thoroughly after washing to prevent mildew accumulations when the boat is covered. Spray the cushions with a mildew repellent and prop them up in the boat when it is covered to take advantage of air circulation.

MasterCraft vinyl is made to withstand the effects of sun, heat, acid rain and soiling, under normal conditions, but this does not preclude the cleaning requirements. Please consult the following cleaning recommendations before cleaning your upholstery.

Certain household cleaners, powdered abrasives, steel wool, and industrial cleaners may cause damage and discoloration, and are not recommended for use. Dry cleaning fluids and lacquer solvents should not be used as they will remove the printed pattern and gloss. Waxes are not recommended, as many contain dyes and solvents that can permanently damage the vinylís protective coating.

In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi.
It is virtually impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere, which are more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain cleanses the air, with the result being that the micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl.
While the vinyl is treated to resist the growth of micro-organisms (meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the stain results from failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water.

This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi (mold and mildew) thrive.

Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery may cause your warranty to be voided!

The cleaning table presented in this section is offered only as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We do not guarantee that the cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by warranty.

All of the products listed as recommended are especially good for routine care. Subsequent to publication we have been advised that 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner(TM) is, followed up by 303 High Tech Fabric Guard(TM), highly recommended as a result of testing by the upholstery manufacturer.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
That disclaimer has been around for a bit as has the chart in some form or another have one in my 2000 manual. It's more of a tutorial on what to use for certain stains in the 2000 manual.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 04-04-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
I would also throw Totally Awesome Cleaner or Malco in the mix vs all of those................
I use Malco and it works great...........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif