Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
I was seriously considering that 05 motor, be aware it is not a drop in solution. For a boat as old as the xstar or mine. It has a digital throttle control and you will need to buy a $1000.00 control harness from Mastercraft to make it work. You will also have to buy a set of digital gauges and a new computer to xmit the proper signals, I determined that 3k engine is looking like it will be approaching 5k by the time I buy just the parts and get it shipped to my garage, then comes the challenge of getting the wiring schematics from Indmar, to try and adapt the harness and get everything to play nicely. I'd hate to see what a dealer would charge for all that r&d

Here is the number for EDM give them a call and they can explain what you are up against. They are an indmar sister company. 866-255-9265.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
I was going to contact a MC dealer to try to find out exactly what you just told me. Because yes I was hoping I could just drop it in and be over with it. But already feared it would probably not be that easy. Didn't expect it to be so complicated as you describe though.
Thank you very much for the info.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
I was seriously considering that 05 motor, be aware it is not a drop in solution. For a boat as old as the xstar or mine. It has a digital throttle control and you will need to buy a $1000.00 control harness from Mastercraft to make it work. You will also have to buy a set of digital gauges and a new computer to xmit the proper signals, I determined that 3k engine is looking like it will be approaching 5k by the time I buy just the parts and get it shipped to my garage, then comes the challenge of getting the wiring schematics from Indmar, to try and adapt the harness and get everything to play nicely. I'd hate to see what a dealer would charge for all that r&d

Here is the number for EDM give them a call and they can explain what you are up against. They are an indmar sister company. 866-255-9265.
Why replace the ECM when it can be reprogrammed (or, were you referring to the controllers for the gauges?)? As far as gauges, analog work fine- if you don't want digital, don't use them.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Why replace the ECM when it can be reprogrammed (or, were you referring to the controllers for the gauges?)? As far as gauges, analog work fine- if you don't want digital, don't use them.
I wasn't referring to the ECM, I was referring to the MMDC. It's my understanding that if your boat has analog gauges then you they will not process the digital signal from the MMDC.

After talking with someone at Barr Marine/EDM and FL Inboards about using a PCM repower. the engines they sell will send analog and digital signals but it will be a trial and error process where you just have to plug it in and pray it works, then troubleshoot and start hanging expensive parts to see if that solves your problem.

I should make a disclaimer in my signature, even though I am a licensed technician and have the skills to keep your turbine engine from killing you, I am just getting my feet wet on modern EFI marine systems and am just relaying you what I think I've learned over the last few months.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
I wasn't referring to the ECM, I was referring to the MMDC. It's my understanding that if your boat has analog gauges then you they will not process the digital signal from the MMDC.
Thats completely right but you wouldn't need it to process through the mmdc. Basically your temp, rpm, etc would all be direct while your other functions would still be through the mmdc. My oil pressure etc is all direct and not using the plugs from the mmdc.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
So you jist have regular sending units installed.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post

After talking with someone at Barr Marine/EDM and FL Inboards about using a PCM repower. the engines they sell will send analog and digital signals but it will be a trial and error process where you just have to plug it in and pray it works, then troubleshoot and start hanging expensive parts to see if that solves your problem.

I should make a disclaimer in my signature, even though I am a licensed technician and have the skills to keep your turbine engine from killing you, I am just getting my feet wet on modern EFI marine systems and am just relaying you what I think I've learned over the last few months.
That's what I meant when I wrote about not using digital gauges- if it's less expensive/hassle to re-do the digital ones, it may be easier to go with analog. The problem with the digital gauge system is that they're very sensitive to bad grounding. Hoping and praying they'll work is the hassle I'm referring to.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: current 02 X7 / 197, past 98 PS 190
hey guys I was looking back at the photos on the 2005 ebay engine, looks like salt corrosion, top view between motor and air filter on top where the MCX logo is. also view salt corrosion on the engine mount feet. yuck.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
TT Regular

Hmmm I asked the seller if it ever was used in salt and she said no. But it sure looks like it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
TT Regular

How about a Mercruiser?

Would have been nice if this was in Florida. Huge hassle to have stuff shipped from the west coast. Or have the engine separated locally and then shipped to CR.
Anyone in Vegas?