Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Money talks- if someone has a ton of cash, and some gangs do, they can find someone with a 3d printer and the ability/desire to make these for whoever pays.
...but you can still only make an empty plastic lower receiver that has to be built and has a very limited lifespan - buy the upper, assemble everything and then what? Where is your advantage to being able to do this? It would just be easier to go and buy a complete AR that will fire thousands and thousands of rounds reliably, then to go through all of that hassle to fire a couple hundred (maybe) before it breaks. If you are worried about trace-ability - then buy an aluminum 80% lower (which is not considered a gun or serialized either), finish the machining and build a regular AR that has the reliability and is not traceable. I don't see where the 3-D printing is a realistically viable and practical option just to get around Big Brother - even for someone with a ton of cash. It is more of a novelty and a challenge to do it than anything to practically worry about.

2013 X-25
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
...but you can still only make an empty plastic lower receiver that has to be built and has a very limited lifespan - buy the upper, assemble everything and then what? Where is your advantage to being able to do this? It would just be easier to go and buy a complete AR that will fire thousands and thousands of rounds reliably, then to go through all of that hassle to fire a couple hundred (maybe) before it breaks. If you are worried about trace-ability - then buy an aluminum 80% lower (which is not considered a gun or serialized either), finish the machining and build a regular AR that has the reliability and is not traceable. I don't see where the 3-D printing is a realistically viable and practical option just to get around Big Brother - even for someone with a ton of cash. It is more of a novelty and a challenge to do it than anything to practically worry about.
The lower is the only part with a serial number, AFAIK. anyone can buy the rest of the parts and assemble one if they have the lower but the lower is, or will probably be, regulated. If AR-type guns are outlawed and people are willing to go to great lengths to get one/many, this is one way to go about it.

Gangs and other criminals don't buy guns for a lifetime, they only need them once, really. If it lasts that long, they got their money's worth, IMO.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The lower is the only part with a serial number, AFAIK. anyone can buy the rest of the parts and assemble one if they have the lower but the lower is, or will probably be, regulated. If AR-type guns are outlawed and people are willing to go to great lengths to get one/many, this is one way to go about it.

Gangs and other criminals don't buy guns for a lifetime, they only need them once, really. If it lasts that long, they got their money's worth, IMO.
But an 80% aluminum lower has no serial number and can be sent through the postal service too. There are YouTube videos with guys making AR lowers out of aluminum in their garage too. If I was looking for illegal weapons - I'd want one that at least I knew was going to fire when I needed it - if you read about the guys making plastic lowers, they have lots of failures and their "successes" get them a couple hundred shots before they break or wear out. I get your point though - it is feasible to do so - just not very practical given the other better options out there.

2013 X-25
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
But an 80% aluminum lower has no serial number and can be sent through the postal service too. There are YouTube videos with guys making AR lowers out of aluminum in their garage too. If I was looking for illegal weapons - I'd want one that at least I knew was going to fire when I needed it - if you read about the guys making plastic lowers, they have lots of failures and their "successes" get them a couple hundred shots before they break or wear out. I get your point though - it is feasible to do so - just not very practical given the other better options out there.
Which is easier and more portable- buying a program and a printer, or learning to use a milling machine to close tolerances?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Yes, printer may have the advantage there, but a milling machine is definitely usable and I have very limited experience with one, but I could finish up an 80% lower for an AR. There is also a learning curve with software and a 3D printer. When we both become thugs and start mass producing AR lowers - you with your printer and me with my Bridgeport - lets compare notes again and see what shakes out. I think it would make for a good stats project.

2013 X-25
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Yes, printer may have the advantage there, but a milling machine is definitely usable and I have very limited experience with one, but I could finish up an 80% lower for an AR. There is also a learning curve with software and a 3D printer. When we both become thugs and start mass producing AR lowers - you with your printer and me with my Bridgeport - lets compare notes again and see what shakes out. I think it would make for a good stats project.
I'm not gonna be a thug- I'm going straight to Kingpin. I always wanted to have minions.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Im not a computer expert, so I wont be trying to "print" my own AR. Im not a machinist, so again i wont be trying to "build" my own AR. Point being, and thats why I shared the link is that its interesting what people come up with to "acquire" something that is banned or about to be banned. Personally if I was a collector, I would prefer it to be an original Armalite or an early model Colt, not a knockoff. As a sportsperson, there is no way i would choose that for my collection, other than a novelty. I understand the 2nd ammendment and i dont have a problem with people owning one, however it definately would not be in my top 10 weapons of choice. Back to the intent of the forum, its apparent that people are paying big bucks for them........now. What about in 5 or 10 years? I remember the ban on high capacity magazines and how much they were selling for. They have come down in price significantly. I think that when this craze wears off that the market will be flooded and parts as well as full rifles will be piced reasonably and will be available..........as for now??? Happy hunting.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
We are at the lake for spring break ... Rainy day yesterday so my son and I go into town and stop at WalMart to see if they have any ammo ... Nope but they do have a Colt 6920LE Magpul (desert tan) for ... Get this ... Brand new LE .... $1147
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft 209 Sammy Duvall
Bushmaster ar-15 .223. Red dot scope. Brand new in box $1250. Permit to carry or permit to purchase preferred. Southern MN or Dubuque IA. Pm me for questions or more details. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365384703.188170.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  60.0 KB
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
We are at the lake for spring break ... Rainy day yesterday so my son and I go into town and stop at WalMart to see if they have any ammo ... Nope but they do have a Colt 6920LE Magpul (desert tan) for ... Get this ... Brand new LE .... $1147
and...???

2013 X-25