Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
will do. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
will do. Thanks for the heads up
pun received! i kid

i was reading through this thread and at risk of drumming up a ton of hatred... i don't wear a helmet... never have... won't make fun of anyone for wearing one tho... they personally are cumbersome and distracting for me... maybe i haven't found the right fit yet... anyways that was my preface statement...

from my experience (in some cases limited) with water sports some just leave you more succeptible to injury/head injury than others... all are risky to a point and there's more war/injury stories out there than can be imagined but... we were in an in depth converstaion over coors light and came to a conclusion that sports like ski jumping/wakeboarding where you leave the water are more likely to leave you injured... footing and slalom you rarely leave the water... the fall into the water at any speed and the "plugging" effect is what makes injuries more likely b/c remember: "speed won't hurt you but the acceleration will kill you"... its the sudden stop when you plug into the added resistance of the water that gets you where in some sports youre more likely to skip or tumble if for just a moment will make all the difference in reducing the acceleration (in a negative direction for those who have been through a few physics classes)... so it seems reasonable to me that you'd be lees likely to come across the issue on a slalom course than at a wakeboarding comp

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Nice find I love that final tweak adjustment inside. I may just have to pull the trigger on that. My daughter and wife all have Bern snowboard helmets with a similar system it works great for them and really gives you a great fit. The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a wake helmet is because I haven't found one that fits me properly just yet. I seem to be inbetween a medium and a large in every line I have tried.
I am in the same boat but my melon head is between a large and a x-Large. I am gonna pull the trigger today and i'll tell you my thoughts on the fit when i get it. I.e. smaller or larger than size.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikler View Post
After a big smack yesterday its helmet time.... Anyone heard of these guys?

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...6&pdeptid=1768

Even though its not wakeboard specific its made for watersports

The reason i am gravitating towards it is it has a internal fine tune adjustment that i don't see on any other brand (not talking about the chin strap)

Thoughts?
I like those.
Been wearing pro-tec for years... there ok.

Shred ready looks good too..

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
http://www.shredready.com/products.php

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO-TALL View Post
I purchased this one a couple of weeks ago:

http://shredready.shptron.com/p/standard-full-cut?pp=12

I like the fit, but it's definitely a lot different than my snowboard helmet. It sits on my head a little more tilted to the front if that makes any sense. Bought mine at backcountry.com with a discount
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeX2wake View Post
pun received! i kid

i was reading through this thread and at risk of drumming up a ton of hatred... i don't wear a helmet... never have... won't make fun of anyone for wearing one tho... they personally are cumbersome and distracting for me... maybe i haven't found the right fit yet... anyways that was my preface statement...

from my experience (in some cases limited) with water sports some just leave you more succeptible to injury/head injury than others... all are risky to a point and there's more war/injury stories out there than can be imagined but... we were in an in depth converstaion over coors light and came to a conclusion that sports like ski jumping/wakeboarding where you leave the water are more likely to leave you injured... footing and slalom you rarely leave the water... the fall into the water at any speed and the "plugging" effect is what makes injuries more likely b/c remember: "speed won't hurt you but the acceleration will kill you"... its the sudden stop when you plug into the added resistance of the water that gets you where in some sports youre more likely to skip or tumble if for just a moment will make all the difference in reducing the acceleration (in a negative direction for those who have been through a few physics classes)... so it seems reasonable to me that you'd be lees likely to come across the issue on a slalom course than at a wakeboarding comp
You know I used to have that same thought. Was convinced at ine point that they were just for peotection from obstacles. However I figured I would give a helmet a go after learning a couple higher end tricks. I was going for some off axis 3's and 5's and was killing myself catching my back edge. I was hitting the water hard. Tried the snowboard helmet for a day. I'll be damned it helped me a ton from ringing my bell. Especially with the ear guards in there. For me I am so used to wearing a helmet between snowboarding and playing ice hockey I wouldn't even notice it. My issue tho as mentioned is I can't find a wake helmet that fits me even close to the way my snowboard or hockey helmet do.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
I am in the same boat but my melon head is between a large and a x-Large. I am gonna pull the trigger today and i'll tell you my thoughts on the fit when i get it. I.e. smaller or larger than size.
Well you could go with a protech XL bc they have an adjustment strap at the back and inserts to get to the correct size. Just a thought. I would suggest trying one on if possible.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
The NRS helmet arrived today and with the quick adjustment strap there is absolutely no movement front to back... unfortunately this is not a helmet for someone who has an oblong head. I had a fingers worth of play on both sides of the helmet while it fit perfectly front to back. If you have a round head i would recommend it.

Quote:
After a big smack yesterday its helmet time.... Anyone heard of these guys?

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...6&pdeptid=1768

Even though its not wakeboard specific its made for watersports

The reason i am gravitating towards it is it has a internal fine tune adjustment that i don't see on any other brand (not talking about the chin strap)

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeX2wake View Post
they personally are cumbersome and distracting for me...
Not hating on you....but I love hearing people use this type of line when talking about the use of safety equipment! You know what else is cumbersome and distracting...wheelchairs, canes and feeding tubes!

All kidding aside, protect your melons! You only get one and any damage received to it can be severely life altering.

Another thing to remember is that the helmet does not end all head injuries...but it can stop further trauma to the skull (i.e. skull fractures, etc.). So, for those who make the comment that wearing a helmet gives them more confidence to do more or go higher, remember that a brain injury often results from the brain sloshing around inside that hard case (skull). The helmet can not protect against that. My son ended his snowboarding season early this year due to a concussion...he always has a helmet on.

If you don't have one...go get one. To me, the helmets look pretty cool now so there should be no shame in wearing one!