Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '92 190 Prostar and the new project '05 X Star (Indmar 350 MCX)
ZF Hurth V Drive, neutral not showing

I've got a ZF Hurth V Drive in my 2005 X-Star, but I can't "feel" neutral on the gear selector switch on the gearbox, plus the neutral switch isn't showing as being in neutral (when it actually is).

With the helm gear selector disconnected you used to be able to feel a slight notch when in neutral on the gearbox selector on the gearbox, but now there's no feeling at all. You can select neutral, forward and reverse with the engine running - but no notch (you have to short the neutral selector switch to get the engine to fire). I've replaced the neutral switch but this hasn't made a difference. When you take the switch out there's a ball bearing that seems to push up to activate the switch when it's out of gear, but it doesn't seem to be activating.

Any tips on what this could be? The gearbox was stripped down and serviced a few months ago - but it worked fine for a while.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM
TT Regular

No ideas anyone?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 AM
TT Regular

I've done some more research and have found the ZF Hurth repair manual http://www.bukh-bremen.de/files/346/...s%20ZF85IV.pdf but now I'm confused. The Mastercraft manual says to use 15/40 oil but the ZF Repair Manual says to use Automatic Transmission Fluid. Which ones right I've got 15-40 in at the moment?

Having read the manual the gear selector definitely works under hydraulic pressure so I guess this is my problem (it runs around 300 PSI). So perhaps I've got the wrong oil in it?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Your problem would seem to be in the control lever not the transmission. The detent you used to feel is from a detent in the shifter. Here is a PDF of a similar control.....

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/wp-con...ion_Manual.pdf

15 - 40 or transmission fluid will work in the Hurth. MC changed from transmission fluid to oil quite a few years ago. The change to the heavier weight oil decreased the noise from the transmission. If you are running oil now I would continue to do so.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Here is the service bulletin about Hurth transmissions and the change to oil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SV2001-2 Hurth Trans Noise.pdf (23.6 KB, 97 views)

Tags
zf hurth neutral