Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X-Star & 1994 Prostar 190 Protour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I just have a pipe plug in my left-side cylinder head. It makes perfect sense to have the gauge temp sensor there and not in the mixer.

I have not had the boat out for a few weeks so I did not get a chance to test the actual engine temp with an infrared temp gun.
Is your sensor wire long enough to move it over? Just move the pipe plug over to the mixer.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by langedp View Post
Is your sensor wire long enough to move it over? Just move the pipe plug over to the mixer.
It should be long enough, I'll have to try that and see what my engine temp is then.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Bump, What was the final solution for this engine problem, as mine barely gets to 120deg. I have not tried the Temp gun yet, but would like to know if something was figured out.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
TT Hero

I never relocated my sensor to the cylinder head, but I did check it with the infrared gun. Cylinder head temp was close to 160 as I recall from last summer, but the area where the sensor is near the mixer was much colder. Boat always ran great, never ran hot. Sometimes at idle the guage would climb to 160 and then drop after accelerating. I assume everything is working as it should.

I may still relocate that sensor this spring and see where that takes me. I like to have accurate temp reading while using the boat. Don't want to overheat that LT-1!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I never relocated my sensor to the cylinder head, but I did check it with the infrared gun. Cylinder head temp was close to 160 as I recall from last summer, but the area where the sensor is near the mixer was much colder. Boat always ran great, never ran hot. Sometimes at idle the guage would climb to 160 and then drop after accelerating. I assume everything is working as it should.

I may still relocate that sensor this spring and see where that takes me. I like to have accurate temp reading while using the boat. Don't want to overheat that LT-1!
You know your engine has two thermostats, right? If the second one is sticking open, it will never get warm.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You know your engine has two thermostats, right? If the second one is sticking open, it will never get warm.
I know, both are new and the engine does get warm at the pipe plug location in the left cylinder head (as checked by an infrared heat gun). I feel this is where my sensor should be, not at the mixer in front where constant cold water enters. Not sure why it's there, but I really should relocate it to the cylinder head to see if I get a more steady temp reading. Maybe the owner before me put it there, not sure.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I know, both are new and the engine does get warm at the pipe plug location in the left cylinder head (as checked by an infrared heat gun). I feel this is where my sensor should be, not at the mixer in front where constant cold water enters. Not sure why it's there, but I really should relocate it to the cylinder head to see if I get a more steady temp reading. Maybe the owner before me put it there, not sure.
Is that the one wire sender or the two wire sensor? They go where the harness reaches and where it was located from the factory.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
I pulled the 160 t-stat to make sure its not stuck open and it's closed.
I have not checked the lower 143 t-stat to see if it's stuck open. [/quote]

I had to replace my impeller because the P.O. never checked it and it was pretty much torn up.
I want to check the hoses and the t-Stat, but after reading this, are there two T-Stats? I thought there is only one. this is a 5.7 Vortec Engine.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I want to check the hoses and the t-Stat, but after reading this, are there two T-Stats? I thought there is only one. this is a 5.7 Vortec Engine.
There are two thermostats on the LT-1 engines. The LT-1 has two thermostats due to the unique reverse cooling where the water enters the heads first and flows out the bottom of the block.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Thanks. I guess that doesn't apply to me then. I need to find some impeller pieces because the P.O. never changed it. When I pulled it it had pieces missing. I'm a little concerned about engine temp now. What T-Stat should be in there and what should the gauge read? I just posted a new thread before I saw this one. Let's see who chimes in. Hope nothing is plugged up as the P.O. never mentioned a problem wit it running warm.