Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Can a bent strut be straitened?

Hi Guys,

Bent the prop, shaft and strut on the weekend, want to know if the strut can be straitened. I know the prop can, and the shaft should be able to but cheap enough to replace, but how is the strut straitened?

The propshaft used to turn easily with my fingers and now takes two hands. I removed the prop, and took the 4 bolts from the coupling to remove shaft assuming it was the bent shaft causing the issue, and the coupling pulled about 40mm (1.5 inches) off center so it seems the strut is also bent.

Besides the challenges with my engine at the moment we took the boat out for a run on the weekend and hit a submerged object. Depth guage showed over 2 meters (7-8 feet) depth and I had stoped to pick up a skier so at idle. Prop hit and stalled the motor.

Very little dammage to prop although 1 blade is slightly bent and will be sent for repairs so I did not expect shaft to be dammaged, let alone bend the strut.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
I'm sure it's not recommended but I did straight'n mine... I'm cheap... Look through my post and there's a thread where I did it. I just used the shaft ever so easily, lil by lil... Like I say, not a recommended method but mine was only slightly bent...
Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: EPIC 23v
We just went through this with an old skier over here in NZ, owner also owned an engineering workshop and he took a look at his twisted strut and said "get a new one" problem is that if it is a 100th of an mm out of spec at the strut it will be over 10mm (1000 x) that at the coupler end due to the shaft length.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Underwater gear is available, just gotta get the right one for your boat. http://www.waterskis.com/200299-p/ma...ft_1_strut.htm

In terms of straightening I think you'd need to heat/anneal the strut, then ideally you'd know the appropriate alignment, and have a jig had some hardened points that you could use to align the strut.

As PureInboards mentioned, it has to be pretty straight - but I think the math misses one aspect - the engine is adjustable, therefore you can shift the engine to accommodate for misalignment of the strut.

In the alignment you center the shaft to account for droop, side/side up down for a neutral position.

Once you have that position you can shift/slide the engine, so obviously if the strut is out of spec, you end up with an engine that is not inline to the hull, BUT - recall that these are never perfectly inline, all engines are aligned to the strut. The stuffing box floats on a rubber tube to allow for misalignment of the shaft through the stuffing box/shaft log/strut.

Therefore my suggestion would be 1 - source shaft and prop. Heat and attempt to straigten strut. Install shaft, observe alignment through hull and at engine, if close - realign engine, bolt coupler and verify prop shaft turns freely.

If alignment is not feasible, then I would replace strut assembly.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Found a work shop that does regularly straighten these struts abd for the price I am prepared to take it to them. Does anyone have a majic system that I can use to remove the strut easily or is it a case of remove bolts and use big hammer.....?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
loosen bolts, leave nuts on. wiggle back and forth till any silicone releases.

then remove bolts.

Mine galled real bad when I pulled them, and the bolts were not reusable on assembly. They were also slotted, and I replaced them with Phillips, since you cannot get to both the screw heads and the nuts at the same time, I found it necessary to have someone else run the ratchet while I was under the boat pushing on the screw driver.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
I'm sure it's not recommended but I did straight'n mine... I'm cheap... Look through my post and there's a thread where I did it. I just used the shaft ever so easily, lil by lil... Like I say, not a recommended method but mine was only slightly bent...
I think BriEOD got his straightened by a local shop. I looked into it, but mine was bent so near to the taper that it just wasn't happening. If the bend is farther up the shaft, it can be done.

/I'm going to reread this post later and snicker.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Found a work shop that does regularly straighten these struts abd for the price I am prepared to take it to them. Does anyone have a majic system that I can use to remove the strut easily or is it a case of remove bolts and use big hammer.....?
Good reading: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=33992
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
MMM, have heard of the heat and ratchet method, might try that if a few taps with the mallet does not work.

Thanks so far guys!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Strut off easily.. maybe too easily, but it was ok. all 8 bolts out, left it on the shaft and gave it a good wriggle. it budged a little so I tapped it with a rubber hammer and it came away from the hull easy enough with a few more wriggles.

Off to workshop tomorrow for prop, shaft, and strut to all get put straight. Then to reverse the process and put it all back together and hope it all lines up ok?