Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced190 View Post
Curious, for what purpose?
Contaminants...especially where the trailer bunks and bow pads normally contact the hull. It's great for removing some of the harder stuff without having to use "abrasives". If you're leery try it on an inconspicuous area.

I'm using the Meguiars.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
O.K. I guess I will have to ask. What is a clay bar?
I use it on my cars to remove surface contaminants. If you feel a painted surface on a car, it should be baby's bottom smooth. If it isn't, it was either painted by a monkey or it is dirty. You'll need a clay bar along with a lubricant like instant detailer or quick detailer.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Well, after having the boat for almost a year, I finally got around to sanding down the platform. The previous owner had some type of brown stain/paint that was quite thick and you almost couldn't see the grain through the paint. Plus it was as slick as snot from a habanero pepper eating contest when wet. Just the raw sanded teak looks better than it did with the older paint on it. As a bonus, I finally found a reason to use the little thin finger attachment for my hand sander that I've had for 10 years. That thing worked pretty good to get the edges between the slats.

So now a little more sanding and then probably hit it with the linseed oil / mineral spirt blend. Looking forward to seeing how it looks in a week or two!!!

The brackets are aluminum and painted black. The paint is chipping off and I'm thinking of stripping the paint and then polishing the alumimum and then hitting it with some clear. Anyone ever try that before? Might look good. Either that, or will paint them black again.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Installed a Fulton F2 winch on my trailer, picked it up from someone, new in box, for 25 bucks.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin View Post
Installed a Fulton F2 winch on my trailer, picked it up from someone, new in box, for 25 bucks.
Wow. Nice find!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
I gutted the cabin, reassembled a freshly painted bell housing, damper plate and starter. I also stripped Ford Blue off of the valve covers to prep for repaint and polish. Pictures to come!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364785661.562338.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  30.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364785672.179501.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  50.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Cam, Kyle and Jeff...thanks for the input and pics.

Yes, I am going to call K&N and see what they say. I would like the newer style filter without the vent if they have it. Will keep everyone posted in case someone else has the same question come up.
I'm late to the party on this and did not read the entire conversation. So if this has already been covered I'm sorry for a repeat.

It has been my experience that, if you remove the hose coming from the valve cover you must have a breather type vent. It allows the crank case to ventilate and if you close it off you will create a ton of back pressure that will sure blow out some seals. A lot of times those breather caps with no hose will spew out oil at higher RPMs.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 mastercraft prostar 190
Replaced a leaking rear main seal.. No pics just aggravated so I jumped in there and knocked it out. But I got r dun!!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm late to the party on this and did not read the entire conversation. So if this has already been covered I'm sorry for a repeat.

It has been my experience that, if you remove the hose coming from the valve cover you must have a breather type vent. It allows the crank case to ventilate and if you close it off you will create a ton of back pressure that will sure blow out some seals. A lot of times those breather caps with no hose will spew out oil at higher RPMs.

Yes, if the flame areestor has a vent, you must replace it with one with a vent. You should replace with the same kind.

I got the slim down version without the vent as this replaces the one that was on the LT1 originally.

K&N 59-5020 K&N Flame Arrestor
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by reftech View Post
Replaced a leaking rear main seal.. No pics just aggravated so I jumped in there and knocked it out. But I got r dun!!
I didn't realize that you can replace the seal without pulling the engine. Good deal.