Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 PM
ncsone's Avatar
ncsone ncsone is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
Got mine installed today. Really happy with them. I had to take a dremel to the forward most mount to get the grommet in there. It took me 2 or 3 hours to get those thru bolts out then back in. I had to enlist the help of my 13 year old daughter to get the middle bolt. I plan on posting a little write up on how to remove the 205v/x-2/x-1 throttle panel tomorrow when I get some time.



Glad it worked out for you!
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM
ncsone's Avatar
ncsone ncsone is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 676
Finally got these installed on my boat. After spending the time to have them built, I think I am the last to get them installed. They look great and are a great fix.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
prostar205's Avatar
prostar205 prostar205 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,423
Those do looks really good especially on against the black material.
__________________
2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
JDC's Avatar
JDC JDC is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Location: Indiana
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsone View Post
Finally got these installed on my boat. After spending the time to have them built, I think I am the last to get them installed. They look great and are a great fix.
No, you're not the last.
I did polish mine to a high gloss shine. I thought about spraying clear over them but figured that would ruin the shine. I decided to use a micro-crystalline wax polish I have to seal the surface. No photos yet. Maybe I'll get to it this next weekend.

I noticed you had to cut off one edge of your rear grommet. Looks like mine will be the same.
__________________
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM
ncsone's Avatar
ncsone ncsone is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
No, you're not the last.
I did polish mine to a high gloss shine. I thought about spraying clear over them but figured that would ruin the shine. I decided to use a micro-crystalline wax polish I have to seal the surface. No photos yet. Maybe I'll get to it this next weekend.

I noticed you had to cut off one edge of your rear grommet. Looks like mine will be the same.
Yes, the back of the armrest has a lot of different curvatures to it. There was no way mine was going to fit w/o some modification. I took a hacksaw to mine and cleaned up the edges and cut surface with a file.

I used some metal polish on mine and it really brightened up the front faces on the flanges.

Glad to hear this worked out so well for everyone and saved us all from buying new panels at $200-300 a pop.

At this point, I have one set of flanges/grommets left. First to pay gets them. I MAY do more in the future, but I want to have a pretty healthy 'interested' list built before issuing the order.
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM
ncsone's Avatar
ncsone ncsone is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 676
Thanks to everyone's support the initial production of these flanges/grommets have been SOLD OUT! However, I am looking into making a second batch of these in the future. How quickly I have these made will be determined by the interest level. If you are interested in some of these from the second run, please send an email address to ncs197(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thanks to the group effort on getting this first run produced - it worked out for the good for everyone to install these rather than have to spend ~$250 for a new panel.
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
JRW160's Avatar
JRW160 JRW160 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: 2003 X2
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsone View Post
Thanks to everyone's support the initial production of these flanges/grommets have been SOLD OUT! However, I am looking into making a second batch of these in the future. How quickly I have these made will be determined by the interest level. If you are interested in some of these from the second run, please send an email address to ncs197(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thanks to the group effort on getting this first run produced - it worked out for the good for everyone to install these rather than have to spend ~$250 for a new panel.
I'm really glad I got in on this. The timing worked out great for me. Thanks again.
__________________
2003 X2
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM
JDC's Avatar
JDC JDC is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Location: Indiana
Posts: 391
I finally got mine installed today!
I too had to enlist some help from my 11 year old daughter to get to the front and middle bolts. A quick lesson in how to get a washer and a nut started on a bolt using two fingers when you can't see what you're doing, and she got 'em both on the first try.

So, I'll wear you out with photos. 3 before pics and 3 after.

This 1st photo shows the previous owner's fix of a sheet metal screw drilled into fresh fiberglass and a washer.
Name:  Driver panel 1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  33.0 KB

The middle screw had broken through and wasn't holding anything.
Name:  Driver panel 2.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  Driver panel 3.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  35.0 KB


All shined up. This is one of the two I had to cut down for clearance.
Name:  Driver panel 4.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  Driver panel 5.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  Driver panel 6.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  29.8 KB

A much more professional repair than the screw and a washer thing.
Name:  Driver panel 7.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  35.4 KB

This is a great repair prostar205 came up with and designed! Thanks to Neill for taking the ball and running with it so a few more of us could benefit from this great idea!
__________________
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 PM
prostar205's Avatar
prostar205 prostar205 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
I finally got mine installed today!
I too had to enlist some help from my 11 year old daughter to get to the front and middle bolts. A quick lesson in how to get a washer and a nut started on a bolt using two fingers when you can't see what you're doing, and she got 'em both on the first try.

So, I'll wear you out with photos. 3 before pics and 3 after.

This 1st photo shows the previous owner's fix of a sheet metal screw drilled into fresh fiberglass and a washer.
Attachment 93173

The middle screw had broken through and wasn't holding anything.
Attachment 93174

Attachment 93175

All shined up. This is one of the two I had to cut down for clearance.
Attachment 93176

Attachment 93177

Attachment 93178

A much more professional repair than the screw and a washer thing.
Attachment 93179

This is a great repair prostar205 came up with and designed! Thanks to Neill for taking the ball and running with it so a few more of us could benefit from this great idea!

Those do look nice all shined up. Glad they're working out for everyone. Nice to know that my 4 year mechanical engineering degree was finally good for something useful.
__________________
2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Burdhntr Burdhntr is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 03 197TT 6.0 Cadillac YQ-9
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 161
Okay, so while I started this thread, I never bought in on it cuz I'm a worthless idiot. Did you ever do another run of them? Any still available?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 PM.