Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
I've seen 196's run into the mid 50's.

Not that I wouldn't like to agree, but I have never been in an inboard that would run in the mid 50s. A lot of my friends have ski boats, and most of them are good for mid 40s, and my neighbors 196 will hit 47ish with a 6.0l. Even my uncle's LS7 powered Bu corvette only goes 51-52.

Not saying they don't, but I have never been lucky enough to witness it.....
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post

Not that I wouldn't like to agree, but I have never been in an inboard that would run in the mid 50s. A lot of my friends have ski boats, and most of them are good for mid 40s, and my neighbors 196 will hit 47ish with a 6.0l. Even my uncle's LS7 powered Bu corvette only goes 51-52.

Not saying they don't, but I have never been lucky enough to witness it.....
I will bear witness...mid 50s NO PROBLEM

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
I will bear witness...mid 50s NO PROBLEM

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

My friends have slow boats!!

I will admit that I was surprised that my uncles corvette would only muster about 52mph...
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
I don't think that you have to go so far to extremes like the Australian bare bones hot rods they call ski boats in order to get decent performance. I've seen 196's run into the mid 50's.[/quote]

Geez I was actually being crticial of our boats of the era. They were typically 16' to 18' with 10 to 12 degree shaft angles and nowhere near the weight of US equivalents. Some manufacturers were putting V drives on centre mounted engines to reduce the shaft angle to 8 degrees. These boats were cracking 60. My point? None of these are what you would descibe as a good ski boat. As for Australian Hot Rods heres one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GefArdOuNqM I'm told it will run to 140 MPH with 2 skiers. On this course it's average speed is over 100MPH and continuous bends. But like all things, believe nothing of what you hear only half of what you see....
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
I think the Australian bare bones boats are very cool! They're a bit crude though, like you said. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a tough comparison to modern (luxury) ski boats.

FourtyFour, where in the northeast are you? Come on over to CT if you want to ride in some fast ski boats. We have a tsc3 196 that'll run 52+ any given day (ive seen 56 with weight in the back and ideal conditions) and an old barefoot nautique that'll run into the 60's. I'll let you hold the GPS.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
I think the Australian bare bones boats are very cool! They're a bit crude though, like you said. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a tough comparison to modern (luxury) ski boats.

FourtyFour, where in the northeast are you? Come on over to CT if you want to ride in some fast ski boats. We have a tsc3 196 that'll run 52+ any given day (ive seen 56 with weight in the back and ideal conditions) and an old barefoot nautique that'll run into the 60's. I'll let you hold the GPS.
It's not that I don't believe it, I just didn't expect it, compared to the ones I have been in here. I am in VT.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Fair enough... Offer stands if you're ever down this way!