Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, 350
94 prostar steering

I signed up on the forum with a "lie" and that is I own a 94 prostar, not true my brother in law does. I have a 2009 ski nautique 206. As for the necessary disclaimer, I love his boat. He drove mine for the first time and commented on the steering. How effortless and still accurate. His boat "pulls" pretty hard to one side. I always understood this as necessary to keep the boat straight. How do you know what is enough pull but not "too much" pull and how, if you can, do you adjust it?

I know we are talking 15 years of technology advance so this is not intended as a slight against prostar.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
My 94' does the same thing. I think this is pretty normal, however you can probably grease the cable and pivot points to smooth it out some. I haven't done mine but probably should.

Nothing wrong with the 206. I'd love to see it sometime! I guess that would compare with the 214 kinda?? I think there is a lot more room in the 206 vs the 197.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
An '09 197 will steer more precise than a '94 190 too, newer parts with less hours on them.

With that said, he can file his rudder to remove some of the pull.
If his boat steers hard (does it?) he may need a new steering cable. Very common on a boat of that age.

There is a thread on here somewhere showing a 190 owner that changed his steering to newer style rack and pinion.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, 350
I would bet his cable has never been replaced, and I will talk about grease points. As far as shaving his rudder any details on this?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Several ideas:

1. bad steering cable? With my new steering cable (93 PS 205), I can turn the wheel with one finger.

2. filing the rudder... you can take a file and file the rudder so it stays straight. with tournament skiing, many back in the 80s and 90s used to file it down to make the turn inward easier to turn right to pick up the skier.

maybe its because I am used to driving my own and other 90s MCs, but I actually prefer my steering over the new boats.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Several ideas:

1. bad steering cable? With my new steering cable (93 PS 205), I can turn the wheel with one finger.

2. filing the rudder... you can take a file and file the rudder so it stays straight. with tournament skiing, many back in the 80s and 90s used to file it down to make the turn inward easier to turn right to pick up the skier.

maybe its because I am used to driving my own and other 90s MCs, but I actually prefer my steering over the new boats.
In my opinion, after driving a friends 205 frequently, I compared my 190. The 205 takes more throttle in a turn to drive the boat through a turn, relative to the 190 that will steer much easier with less throttle and make a tighter turn (different length of hulls). A moot point from comparison.

The pull is to track a boat consistently through a course in lieu of allowing the boat to drift within the boat guides as the skier progresses (in particular on the shorter line lengths). Normal design with intent and purpose. If you're not on a course, I see that it makes little difference as to the point of reference for performance. There as such, I still barefoot on a long line too...

I have a new cable on the way for my 190......

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
The '94 ProStar was a great slalom boat. Some still argue it has one of the best wakes ever for a MasterCraft. The pull to the right is intentional, so the driver only has to tug and relax to compensate for the slalom skier's pull, as opposed to tug and push to keep the boat straight.

Careful greasing the cable. Every time I've ever greased my steering, from a brand new cable in my '86 to my 197 when it was new, the grease fitting always ends up in my grease gun. POS fitting is only hanging on by 1-2 threads max, and the casing is alumnimum.