Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
In my 2008 XStar there are two through hull intakes, one with two pumps connected, one with one. The question now is where to connect the pump filling the KGB/bow bags. I assume that the KGB is relatively large. Does anybody know how large it is?

My two bow bags are rated 420 each. The two rear bags are 750 each.

Do you think there is a difference in using one pump per through hull/two pumps per through hull regarding fill time.

Thx for your help/inputs
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
In my 2008 XStar there are two through hull intakes, one with two pumps connected, one with one. The question now is where to connect the pump filling the KGB/bow bags. I assume that the KGB is relatively large. Does anybody know how large it is?

My two bow bags are rated 420 each. The two rear bags are 750 each.

Do you think there is a difference in using one pump per through hull/two pumps per through hull regarding fill time.

Thx for your help/inputs
KGB is 500# IIRC.
Hmmmm, my '05 X-star only has one hull intake for the ballast system...it's on the port side.
The one on the starboard side is for the engine's cooling system. Maybe they changed things in '08 and added a second ballast intake?
That being said, all 3 of my pumps suck from one hull intake. I find the sacs fill a bit faster if the boat is just above idle moving forward. This allows the pumps to run faster too since the engine rpm is over 1000.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Jep, guess they changed the intake system to allmost separate intakes from 2008 to 2010 since there always where problems using only one intake for all pumps.

It would be a bad idea to "use" the intake supposed to cool the engine to fill the bags :-) I agree.

So, if KGB is 500 and that pump also needs to fill the two front bags of each 400, guess it will take a while to get filled/drained. But it will still be better to have the two other pumps filling the two rear bags of each 750...

Thank you, yesterday I ordered the rIght hose so hopefully next week I can complete the installation. I'm really curious about the fill-times, will let you know if it's acceptable.

Greetings
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

So finally the right hose arrived and I had time to start plumbing/connecting the stuff. It's not that easy to get the fittings connected to the hose it took me relatively long to just install the KGB (had to exchange the previously installed green hose) and the bow bags fill/drain hoses.

First pic is under the drivers seat with KGB and Front bag hose installed
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

This is how the stb bow bag will be connected
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

And this is the port bow bag connected. The power cable in the background comes from the tower and goes trough the port front leg. It is to connect the tower cam to the power source...
Attached Images