Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft, prostart 197, 2004, MCX
Thoughts on 6.0l vs 5.7l Ilmor motor configs??

Curious as to what people think in regards to the 6.0l Ilmor compared to 5.7L version??

Is there much difference in economy for mainly slalom course use??
Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie197 View Post
Curious as to what people think in regards to the 6.0l Ilmor compared to 5.7L version??

Is there much difference in economy for mainly slalom course use??
I can't really speak for the Ilmor setups.

IIRC lot of the members here that compared the indmar MCX to the LQ9 and LY6. Said the they prefer the MCX. Said the LY6 and LQ9 were both a rather "stiff pull in the course".
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie197 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I am out with a knee recon at the moment, and we always want a new boat.Just have a few minor cosmetic blemishes in the vinyl, ect, nothing structural. Currently have 1170hrs on motor, never been apart and you wouldnt know it had any more than 100hrs on it by the way it runs and looks.
I would consider a later upgrade just because I can at the moment.

dihrdskir....mate, thanks for the offer, but I am in Townsville, so guessing nowhere near yourself. I take it you would prefer the 6l over the 5.7l engines?
No problem. You're right I am nowhere near Townsville but the offer is still on the table. I cannot compare the 5.7 ilmor as I have never owned anything equipped with one. I have owned a number of boats over the years with various configurations of the venerable small block in 270 to 350 hp . For grin value the 6.0 has it with ample power right across the rev range. As for grunt we can deep water start 4 100 kg barefooters and hold 40+. The MCX in the same boat could not. Depends on what you want to do with it if you are prepared to part with the extra cash but from what I hear the 5.7 will be enough.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihrdskir View Post
"Response to throttle input is instant"
That's a calibration thing by Ilmore, do not know the exact numbers but they get like 90% of the throttle in the first 10% of movement. They did come out with a flash to make it more reasonable, like the MCX. They had a lot of complaints about that response, try pulling up a 60 lb girl with that response.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwroblew View Post
That's a calibration thing by Ilmore, do not know the exact numbers but they get like 90% of the throttle in the first 10% of movement. They did come out with a flash to make it more reasonable, like the MCX. They had a lot of complaints about that response, try pulling up a 60 lb girl with that response.
There's nothing wrong with an MCX, after all any engine that can still be the mainstay of marine engines despite it's 1956 origin and design flaws must have something going for it. My reference to response to throttle input is in relation to available power at incremental adjustments to throttle which I believe is a positive reflection of power,transmission and propeller combination rather than DBW technology. There is some irony in your 60 lb girl example though, we taught our 9 yo daughter, @ 66lb, to deep water start on slalom this summer. No problem.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihrdskir View Post
"... My reference to response to throttle input is in relation to available power at incremental adjustments to throttle which I believe is a positive reflection of power,transmission and propeller combination rather than DBW technology. ..."
The update they released didn't change the engine calibration, just the DBW mapping.