Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
Update: I have been skiing my *** off. Snow skiing... My 7 & 9 year olds are skiing in the trees with me @ Royal Mountain and my boat has been taking up space in my garage. I had one weekend off from skiing and I started wet sanding the transom. LOVE how effective it is. I'm needing to take down most of the gel coat - it's in horrible condition. Learned that the blue flake is under all of the gray - made me think about taking down all of the gray and making it an all blue flake boat, but changed my mind.

I have about 1/2 of the transom wet sanded- went really light with 240 grit, 400, 800 and 1200. Buffed with starbright polishing compound - looks great. My goal is to finish the transom, get the swim platform back on, pitots, etc. I need to get plywood for the floor and get the inside functional.

No money left for new upholstery, so that will have to wait. I'm debating how to finish the front bow section. I'm not putting foam back in, so I'll have storage, but I have a battery and steering/throttle cables to deal with. Anyone have any pictures of how I might be able to best finish off this space?

Two more weekends of snow skiing then it's full-time on to the boat.

More posts to come.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
Been waiting on an update....what are you planning on doing with the transom? I am in the same boat about what to do with the storage under the bow. Would to install battery etc behind observer seat but it will not be accessible. Thinking of mounting radio and sub there also and then use a remote. Can't decide...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 AM
TT Regular

Transom is in great shape, so all I'm doing is sanding the gel coat to get rid of the oxidation/pitting. Wood around exhaust and swim platform lag bolts was solid. I'd like to see layouts of newer boats so I can get some inspiration for how to finish the front bow section. I was not planning on a radio/sound system.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM
TT Regular

I'm back into the swing of boat restoration. Tomorrow's the last day for snow skiing up here in NY. April and it's still snowing - loving it.

Today there was a lot of polishing going on. I had a machine shop make a new pylon for me - it was done on a CNC lathe, so the machining marks were still present. I took 400 / 600 and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to it and a polishing wheel and it's nice and shiny, ready for install.

For the transom, I've got the wet sanding started. About 1/2 of the transom is done - probably about 2 hours of work. I've learned that the gray gel coat must go on first with a mask for the stripe. Then the mask is pulled and blue flake goes on to finish the gel coat build up. The gray gel is not very thick and it's easy to go through to the blue underneath. The transom is also not flat - there are some sections with transitions and edges due to the layup - these areas cause a quick sand of the raised edge and miss the lower section. So, cautious sanding and frequent cleaning to see what's going on.

I used 220 / 400 / 600 / 1500 for the sand paper. Follow that up with buffing pads and starbrite hull and fiberglass restoring polish and it looks pretty good.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM
TT Regular

Ordered marine plywood today. (3) sheets of 4x8, 5-ply from Friends Lumber in Schenectady today. Delivery will be next Thursday or Friday, so floor cutting next weekend! Need to order carpet and glue, then all of the parts will be here and all construction from here out. Plywood, with delivery, ended up being $100 / sheet. Ouch.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
TT Regular

I'm looking at a new filter for the fuel system. I had a small inline automotive filter before and think this is more like the original filter that had been removed from the boat.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SIE18-7852-1

Question is, is this too much filter to put before the mechanical diaphragm pump? Can anyone share what they have in their S&S setups?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim79mc View Post
I'm looking at a new filter for the fuel system. I had a small inline automotive filter before and think this is more like the original filter that had been removed from the boat.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SIE18-7852-1

Question is, is this too much filter to put before the mechanical diaphragm pump? Can anyone share what they have in their S&S setups?
The 79 I had, had a filter very similar to that one you linked and I think that one would be the ticket. From appearance, it looks to be about the same as what I would expect to see. My current boat (93) has one similar.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
TT Regular

Transom buffed, swim platform reinforced, bilge pump in, wiring and floor planned out

Worked most of today on "Old Blue" - it is really nice to see progress in the perspective of all construction and no more deconstruction. Hopefully things move quickly once the plywood comes in. It's hard to think about where everything needs to go without the engine in. I've been waiting to get the plywood cut before putting in the engine- seems like it will be much easier that way.

The transom is polished. Wet sanding worked great - I'm glad I didn't paint it, but I also think I will be needing to wax often this summer.

You can see the old finish on the side- no reflection, it's pitted and rough. The transom is smooth and mirror-like. Love seeing the blue flake back in form.

The swim platform was in sad shape. I finished off reinforcing the gussets and cleaned up the whole piece.

The blower grill in the rear was a mess. Fixed that & you can see the polished top rear deck blue flake.

And, here's my motivation... Ice is off and sun is out...

Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 PM
TT Regular

I mounted the bilge pump much farther forward than the original installation. I mounted in the lowest part of the hull, near where the battery was mounted, by the driver's feet. I layered up a bunch of filled epoxy and drilled for screws. The epoxy let me secure everything without going into the hull and avoiding needing a wood mounting piece. Worked great.

On the starboard primary stringer, there is a 1" pipe that I'm planning to use for engine wiring. There are wood supports on each end cut with a weep passage on the bottom and I will wrap a strip of glass over these points and fill the gap with silicone after the epoxy "tacks" set up tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim79mc View Post
I mounted the bilge pump much farther forward than the original installation.
While the floor is out, consider more than one pump in strategic locations.

Also a dripless packing system would be nice.

For access to a second or third pump, it is not out of the question to also place hand holes with covers for access to the pump(s). Just saying. Wiring, switches, etc are no big deal to have a completely dry or pump-able / drainage system. Kinda' like a reversible irrigation system..

Good looking work you got going on.... I am sure you have all of this covered. Just rambling on while I watch you work...

$.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 04-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Tags
1979, floor, restoration, stringer