Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 19.5 ft inboard ski boat
Mastercraft and Nautique both make a great product, you cannot go wrong with either. Good luck with the purchase.

WATERSKI!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
what is your price range?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
It's basically a Ford/Chevy thing when it comes to CC vs MC. I have ridden behind both boats for years and I've always preferred Mastercraft just based off the wake and the way it handles, but my buddy will say the exact opposite. My opinion is the quality is comparable just get out on both and see which one fits you better.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
I have owned both and would buy either if the price were right. My first was a '79 SN with 351 Ford...awesome boat...learned to foot behind it. It is still on our lake with about 2000 hours on it...but i bet the guage is broke. I have a 96 Prostar now and it is awesome too. Both good boats.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
I have owned BOTH and both are awesome boats.... I do remeber when I purchased the CC how outstanding the customer service was..... For the first couple of years they would bend over backwards anytime I needed anything.... Not sure if that was specific to that CC delaership but that really made an impression on me....

Hook Em' Horns

Last edited by broncotw; 03-27-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
For me it would be a question of styling. If the styling of CC's in that era is palatable and it's in the price range then go for it. A buddy of mine picked up a barely used 04 SV 211 last year for around $30K. The equipment in it including ballast, 343, tower, lift out carpet,big stereo et al was sensational buying. He does everything behind it and I have been known to ski and foot with it and I found it unbelieveably capable. I considered buying one myself but just couldn't come around to the styling. Hence the MC. As for CC styling, I have heard it described as European, but for me the only european aspect may be the leather on the steering wheel and shift knob. As for fit, finish and quality components my unbiased opinion would be that CC is the winner.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncotw View Post
I have owned BOTH and both are awesome boats.... I do remeber when I purchased the CC how outstanding the customer service was..... For the first couple of years they would bend over backwards anytime I needed anything.... Not sure of that was specific to that CC delaership but that really made an impression on me....
As others have said, both boats are going to be very high quality. There may be some small nuances and creature comforts that one boat has that the other does not and vice-versa.

I think the most important thing you should consider is if you have a really good local dealer for one brand versus the other. That factor can make or break a boat purchase. On the other hand, most dealers will work on other brands. So it may be less of an issue. But all else being equal, if you have a top notch local MC dealer, unless there's really something about CC that does it for your, buy a MC. On the other hand, if you have the world's greatest CC dealer in your backyard, unless there is something about MC that really floats your boat, buy a CC.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Nautique would be the only other boat I would consider if I left MC. Great product, very solid boats, high quality materials. Not always cutting edge with new designs or the bling on the new boats, but I'll take superior quality over bling anyday.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I have NOT owned both, but I drive both all summer long. I own a 94 PS 205 and my brother owns a 04 SN 206 SE and we swap boats each time out.

I have driven my MC, a 98 MC 190 (once), and an 08 MC 197 (once), a 79 Tique, 99 SN 196, the afore mentioned 206 SE.

They were and are great boats and I would be proud to own each one. All at once would be even better!!

Now to think of it I did drive an early 90's Ski Supreme many years ago. It was a powerful pull as well but I think it has some extra stuff under the hood.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, 350
I have a 09 206. So my opinion on styling and quality is going to be pro nautique, but I have loved MC for years and still do.

For me I bought a ski quality first boat that could kinda be a cross over boat. I fully expect, with proper ballast to be able to creat a decent wakeboard and surf wake. They will not be in the realm of a top notch big v drive boat but will more then sufficient wakeboard wake to teach my kids and surf for fun.

I would say the advantages of the 216 over a smaller DD is obviously more space, and better wake for anything other then skiing, with it being a completely respectable recreational ski boat. You also still keep the awesome driving characteristics of a DD boat.

If recreational skiing is a significant factor in what you will do with the boat I think it is a perfect choice. If skiing is a almost non factor then I think you should look for a v drive boat if for no other reason then more user friendly layout.